Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for first road bike for recreational use, budget was originally $600 but quickly realized that wasn't enough to get anything decent in new condition.

Went to LBS, saw a new 06 CAAD R800 in my size, was offered the bike at $1000. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but planning on doing so soon.

Problem is that I live 2 hours away from this bikeshop in NYC, and will need a way to get it there, most likely involving renting a car which can add to my cost.

So i have 2 questions:

1) Is the bike a good deal?

2) Is it worth getting this bike here or should i just buy from a NYC shop that will probably cost more due to higher rents for stores and higher sales tax? Will servicing/initial adjustments be an issue?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
656 Posts
consider whether your local shop will give youfree tune ups or discounts on accessories. Those alone may be worth spending a bit more money to get it locally.

With that said, the 06 CAAD R800 is probably speced very similar and rides very similar to many other bikes in the same price range. Don't think you're sacrificing heaps if you go with a different brand from your local shop.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah I would say try and find somewhere closer and talk to them about year old models. For example if you like the CAAD go to the cannondale website and see if there is a dealer near you. Go to the dealer and talk to them about 07s on clearance. Plus when you buy a bike you buy the shop too. By that I mean you buy the not only tune ups and free crap they throw in, but if you have a question or any small thing go awry, a LBS is more apt to help if you bought the bike there. Those are just some things to consider beforehand.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.