Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gunnar Crosshairs that I use for commuting. It'll need wheels soon. From what I read Open Pros seem to be the choice of many. How do they differ from MA3s, CXP 21 and 23 etc. Any recommendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
pdxtim said:
I have a Gunnar Crosshairs that I use for commuting. It'll need wheels soon. From what I read Open Pros seem to be the choice of many. How do they differ from MA3s, CXP 21 and 23 etc. Any recommendations? Thanks.
I'm happy with the CXP21s I have. They are cheap and are going great at ~ 10,000 miles with no problems. Open Pros and CXP33s are pricier and a tad lighter... and they have sockets... but the CXP21s don't need them.

You can often get good deals on pre-built Open Pros, though. If you are good at stress relieving and truing them yourself, they are a good way to go.

Don't get MA3s... the eyelets crack.

·
Registered
237 Posts
what I undestand is...

the big difference between the Open Pro and CXP-33 on one hand, and all of the others on the other side, is that the OP and 33 are made of a more "performance focused" alloy, Maxtal, which allows for lighter rims. Maxtal is found on the upper range of Mavic wheels and rims.

My perception, from reading/talking, is that the Maxtals are slightly fragile--they are performance/light after all. However, I have also heard of some problems with lesser rim types from Mavic, but when you make so many rims, you will get some use/failure issues.

My experience is that I ride with CXP-33, which are slightly stronger than the OP, because I am larger that average. Having said that, the Open Pros are surprisingly strong for their weight, IMHO. I rode "lesser" Mavic rims for decades with no problems, thousands of negligent miles, and they were fabulous. While I go for the Maxtal rims these days, I would ride any of their rims. Caveat Bottom Line: For commuting only, I might tend to somewhat more bulletproof rims. Mavic makes touring rims that are tough, and Velocity makes the 700c version of the Dyad, which is buff and has an asym rear.

pdxtim said:

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
If you are building up a set of wheels just for commuting and like Mavic, I would recommend building them up with 29" Mavic 719 MTB rims. A 29" is the same as 700c so you can use just about any road tire or swap over to cross tires. They would be a tad heavier than an open pro or 33, but commuting is about reliability. I have been using Salsa Delgado rims on my commuter but have had some cracking issues on the rear wheel. I am currently on my third rim. Salsa has made good each time, but it is a hassle to give up the wheel for a week.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Unalloyed confusion

elvisVerde said:
the big difference between the Open Pro and CXP-33 on one hand, and all of the others on the other side, is that the OP and 33 are made of a more "performance focused" alloy, Maxtal, which allows for lighter rims. Maxtal is found on the upper range of Mavic wheels and rims.
Maxtal is just MAVIC's name for a 60XX aluminum alloy. It is a better alloy than they use in their lower end rims/wheels, but it is esentially the same as that used by Velocity and many others. No magic there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.