Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of ten-year old Mavic OP wheels with Wheelsmith straight 14-ga on an Ultegra hub. The front wheel needs a new hub and I am thinking of replacing it myself, and in the process learn how to build a wheel. Since this is my first try, I thought of using the original spoke, mark their original position in relationship to the old hub, and hopefully I'll be able to build them. Is it OK to use the old one or am I better off buying new spokes? If I use new spokes, will the front wheel feel different than the rear one? YI, the rear wheel also may need a new hub soon.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
siklista said:
I have a set of ten-year old Mavic OP wheels with Wheelsmith straight 14-ga on an Ultegra hub. The front wheel needs a new hub and I am thinking of replacing it myself, and in the process learn how to build a wheel. Since this is my first try, I thought of using the original spoke, mark their original position in relationship to the old hub, and hopefully I'll be able to build them. Is it OK to use the old one or am I better off buying new spokes? If I use new spokes, will the front wheel feel different than the rear one? YI, the rear wheel also may need a new hub soon.
The different front-rear doesn't matter.

Use new nipples.

With a 10 year old rim, I would use the old spokes providing they look good.

TF

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.