Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a used, decaled under a small builder's name, MAX bike that looks exactly like the picture of this Pinarello that was recently posted. Well, it least the front end of the bike looks the same...with that unusual fork.

The bike must have been an all Mavic bike as it has the MAVIC EQUIPPED decaling, but all that is left of the Mavic components are the brakes and the starfish cranks. Everyhting else is Campy (not sure what model).

Anyone riding one of these TIG welded versions? I have a lugged MAX, Merckx already, which is splendid. Don't know the price but it will be cheap...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most builders used tig-welding or filet brazing for MAX tubesets. Due to the shape of the tubing you couldn't use conventional lugs and lugs were not readily available. I know that Eddy has his specially made. His lugs were made to match the ovalization of the tubes. In fact the top tube Merckx used was not a typical MAX top tube - it was oriented differently and was a different diameter. Lugged MAX frames are more difficult to build due to the tubing shape as the mitering must be extremely accurate and the fit must be precise.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I think you may be slightly wrong.

nelson said:
Most builders used tig-welding or filet brazing for MAX tubesets. Due to the shape of the tubing you couldn't use conventional lugs and lugs were not readily available. I know that Eddy has his specially made. His lugs were made to match the ovalization of the tubes. In fact the top tube Merckx used was not a typical MAX top tube - it was oriented differently and was a different diameter. Lugged MAX frames are more difficult to build due to the tubing shape as the mitering must be extremely accurate and the fit must be precise.
I gather that Columbus produced lugs to go along with the tubeset. Maybe Eddie's were produced seperately so they could include his logo.

Quite often you see these frames filet brazed, but utilising the Columbus produced b/b shell, I assume for rigidity?

Good tubeset I gather.

G

·
DannyBoy said:
I gather that Columbus produced lugs to go along with the tubeset. Maybe Eddie's were produced seperately so they could include his logo.

Quite often you see these frames filet brazed, but utilising the Columbus produced b/b shell, I assume for rigidity?

Good tubeset I gather.
The MX Leader tubes were oriented differently than were the tubes used in most other MAX tubed bikes.

Hence the customlugs for Eddy's MAX products.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Missed that.

toomanybikes said:
The MX Leader tubes were oriented differently than were the tubes used in most other MAX tubed bikes.

Hence the customlugs for Eddy's MAX products.
I wonder why he had customised tubes rather than standard Max - marketing prolly!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts