Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy a bike for my wife soon - nothing fancy, just a simple path bike (Schwinn Sierra 7). We were planning to get it from our local Performance Bicycle and I have a $50 off $200 coupon to use on it. The bike is $249 on sale right now so it would be around $200 with the coupon before tax.
Anyway, we were checking it out last night and noticed it had some scratches on the frame. Do you guys think they'll be willing to take more off based on that (in addition to the coupon)? Or do most stores carry new, 'untarnished,' stock in the back? This particular store isn't very large so I'm thinking that's possibly the last model of that bike they have.

TIA!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Your post brings to mind the adage "if ya don't ask, ya don't get". Ask for the manager and explain (to them) what you just told us. I'd bet they'll bend a little on the price.

Alternately, if you prefer a new model from stock, they'd likely stick to their price minus your discount/ coupon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PJ352 said:
Your post brings to mind the adage "if ya don't ask, ya don't get". Ask for the manager and explain (to them) what you just told us. I'd bet they'll bend a little on the price.

Alternately, if you prefer a new model from stock, they'd likely stick to their price minus your discount/ coupon.

Thanks! We ended up getting the bike at the price after coupon only, which still wasn't bad. What we thought were "scratches" actually just turned out to be smudges from either the sticker or grease, so they rubbed off. The bike is pretty much new. And it didn't look like it had been ridden out a whole lot. The guy who sold it got off easy - it was his very first bike sale and just his second day there. I probably could have swayed it a bit based on that alone ;) All in all, we paid $218~ after tax and the $50 off coupon. This particular model is a 2010 model, so what you said makes sense.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Yeah, when I worked in retail while in collage people would ask for discounts all the time. No harm or offense was taken, and I'd say yes or no depending on the circumstances.

When I purchased my new bike earlier this year, I was able to negotiate 10% off the total purchase (around $1,500 or so in the end) because I offered to pay in cash, and the bike shop owner wouldn't have to give up anything to the bank card processing company.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Always bargain. You can't lose (they are not going to refuse to sell to take your money). The markup on accessories is 50% or more so if you can put together a "package," you can make the discount go easier for the store.

Last week I took something back that I'd bought last year. IMHO, it was defective and so in a fashion that had to be done in manufacturing. They weren't sure but after I told them I would accept store credit rather than demanding cash back, they agreed. Why? Because store credit "costs" them only their wholesale price, which probably averages 50%, but it is "worth" 100% to the customer who can use it just like cash in that store. Besides that I spend a lot of money there and they don't want to lose those future sales.

·
Registered
708 Posts
When I worked in a bike shop some twenty years ago, it was 100% mark up normally on accessories.

·
Registered
303 Posts
my LBS has four stores in my area and have price-shopped a couple of their stores a few times and they're pretty good about keeping their prices inline with the major online retailers with the accessories. However, somethings can be obviously over-priced or the on-line retailers run internet specials that can't be ignored.

Still, because I'm a member of a local bike club, my LBS gives an extra 10% off in addition to whatever coupons they're passing around at the time. So, mark-up on accessories no matter who you buy them from is going to be high. Still, thats what keeps them in business and pays their bills, etc. If the difference is minimal, I'd say buy local whenever you can. Now, if the shop is out to strike gold with every deal, thats a whole other situation!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts