Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what does everyone think about buy a bike off ebay. you can't beat the deals but does the risk out weigh the rewards.:) :blush2: :confused: :mad: :( :mad2: :thumbsup: :confused:

P.S. anyone getting rid of a redline conquest pro give me a shout.:D :D

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
tetter said:
what does everyone think about buy a bike off ebay. you can't beat the deals but does the risk out weigh the rewards.:) :blush2: :confused: :mad: :( :mad2: :thumbsup: :confused:
I've bought three bikes and lots of wheels on eBay. My advice:

1) Know the market -- figure out the market price and don't over pay.
2) If it looks too good to be true, it might just be.
3) Never buy from out of the country
4) Understand the scams and avoid them
5) If you have doubts about the condition of the merchandise, ask questions and request more photos.

Happy shopping!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
What he said. I've bought my last 2 cross bikes from e-bay and several road bikes. Got great deals on all but 1 of them.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Gripped has the right advice.
I've sold 4-5 bikes on eBay and I know that I take care to really represent the actual item, but for some reason bikes seem to attract more scams than other items. Ask lots of questions and insure the shipment.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Realize a cross bike used for its intended purpose in many parts of the country will be pretty trashed after a couple seasons. If you have the skills and tools to go through the bike and repair some items, they can be a decent deal. If you drag the bike into a shop, you might end up spending a lot of money on stuff like cables, brake pads, chain, suchlike. It's a hard life with the mud and pressure washing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
bought 3 bikes and many parts on ebay. know what you want and just be careful of who you are buying from. great feedback and make sure you ask some question that you will already know the answer to. that way you can see if they know what they are doing. don't jump to early be patient. good luck

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
d2p said:
I've had good experiences and bad. Overall good.

Shipping can be a killer though.

I've gotten my best deals at the local bike swap meet but thats only once a year . . .
This is a great point on shipping, it's nearly $100 to ship a standard box with wheels across 3 zones via UPS, which is a big chunk of the value of a $500 used cross bike.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
jroden said:
This is a great point on shipping, it's nearly $100 to ship a standard box with wheels across 3 zones via UPS, which is a big chunk of the value of a $500 used cross bike.
On the other hand, the cross market is small enough that the shipping is probably worth it. If you just wanted a road bike in a standard size, you might be better off sticking local with craigslist or what.

If you live in a cross-friendly area, do keep your eye on craigslist as well as the Bay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.