Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying my first road bike in the very near future. Hopefully this week. I've asked several Giant dealers whether a Defy Advanced or TCR Advanced would be best for me. They've all asked whether I have had any injuries that prohibit me from getting flat. They've all steered me to the more agressive TCR.

Sooo, I'm after a 2010 Giant TCR Advanced 2. The problem is the shop I plan to order from has no TCR's in stock.

I'm right in between a Small and a Medium. I know this is only a guideline, but Giant recommends the Small for 5' 4" to 5' 7" riders, and the Medium for 5' 7" to 5' 10" riders. I'm 5' 7" tall (or short) with a 31 1/2" inseam, which seems strange, because I normally wear 30" inseam jeans. Hmm, maybe they sag a little bit? I measured inseam barefoot using a 1 1/4" thick book up my crotch. I'm 37 and in good shape. I can still get flat over the top tube of a bike without it bothering me. I don't know how long I can maintain that position though. I have no back or other body part injuries. The shop I will be ordering through is going to measure me up to determine the best size.

Should I find a shop that has a TCR, regardless of spec, for me to ride and make sure the geometry isn't going to kill me?

What does a person normally do when a shop doesn't have the size or model they want to buy? This is my first road bike, so I'm kind of new at this. I've been riding mountain bikes since 1993, so I'm not new to riding. My last two mountain bike frames were purchased without me riding the same frame built up.

Thanks for the continued advice.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Others with more experience are going to have better advice, but here is mine...If you can test ride the bike, do so. Hopefully you can even use it for some miles, since just a spin around the block won't tell you much.

You haven't told us the ST/TT lengths or HT length/angle yet. Some on here will be able to help you out a lot if you have that info, plus your reach and inseam.

I'm the same height and the same inseam, but I don't know your reach, nor the geo of the bike. I own a "small" bike, but it's not a Giant. Since you are an avid mtn. biker, I don't think the position is going to kill you, but you do want to get a bike that fits your body. You need to take some more measurements and either get some feedback here, use a fit calculator, or best bet, talk to a person at a shop who can fit you to the bike. Why Giant? Other bikes might fit you even better.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is a link direct from Giant's site. If address changes, the picture will disappear.

Why Giant? Good reviews of the TCR Advanced. I guess I'm buying into the fact that Giant doesn't just buy sheets of carbon fiber, they are actually in charge of the resin, epoxy, etc. Plus, I can get a smokin deal on the 2010 TCR Advanced 2 or 2011 TCR Advanced 1.

What other measurements would you like me to get? I'll try to find a seamstress / sewing tape measure.

I did straddle a Raleigh 2010 Competition at one of the shops I visited. It had a ding in the paint and was trying to sell it to me cheap. Anyway, the frame was a SM/MD (55cm), and the owner said it was too big (based on standover) and that I'd need the next size down. Here is the geometry of it: https://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road/2010-road/competition/?page=geometry

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Almost certainly a small. 55.5 effective is big for just about any 5' 7" person and 53.5 is about right.

Do yourself a favor and wait until you shop measures you and then worry about it. Getting fit advice from strangers on the net who can't see you based on half arsed measurments usually isn't a good idea.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
How will you be using the bike? Racing? Fast group rides? Long solo rides? Casual cruising for fitness?
I'd say go aggressive if you want to be in fast rides such as racing, and less aggressive if mostly for fitness. Also, the smaller of the two sizes will be better for a more aggressive position, but for an all day comfort you want to be a bit bigger in the frame.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Peanya said:
How will you be using the bike? Racing? Fast group rides? Long solo rides? Casual cruising for fitness?
I'd say go aggressive if you want to be in fast rides such as racing, and less aggressive if mostly for fitness. Also, the smaller of the two sizes will be better for a more aggressive position, but for an all day comfort you want to be a bit bigger in the frame.

Racing? Yes. I plan on doing the LOTOJA Classic next year. Though, that's a long race. I might dabble in some racing events.
Fast group rides? Yes. Mostly this actually.
Long solo rides? What is long? Probably a yes there too.
Casual cruising? No. I need to put together my '96 Mongoose IBOC Pro-SX frame into a single speed for that. The definition of casual cruising to me is riding with my kids around the neighborhood.
Fitness? Of course, but fast, agressive fitness. Pushing it as hard as I can type fitness.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Having sized people on Giant's for a decade, I can safely say that you are 100% a small. I'm 5'9" and I don't feel comfy on a medium, but a small is a touch too small. But given the choice I would take the small. Seeing as you are 2" shorter than I it's safe to say you would be very uncomfortable on a Medium.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
royta said:
I'm buying my first road bike in the very near future. Hopefully this week. I've asked several Giant dealers whether a Defy Advanced or TCR Advanced would be best for me. They've all asked whether I have had any injuries that prohibit me from getting flat. They've all steered me to the more agressive TCR.

Sooo, I'm after a 2010 Giant TCR Advanced 2. The problem is the shop I plan to order from has no TCR's in stock.

I'm right in between a Small and a Medium. I know this is only a guideline, but Giant recommends the Small for 5' 4" to 5' 7" riders, and the Medium for 5' 7" to 5' 10" riders. I'm 5' 7" tall (or short) with a 31 1/2" inseam, which seems strange, because I normally wear 30" inseam jeans. Hmm, maybe they sag a little bit? I measured inseam barefoot using a 1 1/4" thick book up my crotch. I'm 37 and in good shape. I can still get flat over the top tube of a bike without it bothering me. I don't know how long I can maintain that position though. I have no back or other body part injuries. The shop I will be ordering through is going to measure me up to determine the best size.

Should I find a shop that has a TCR, regardless of spec, for me to ride and make sure the geometry isn't going to kill me?

What does a person normally do when a shop doesn't have the size or model they want to buy? This is my first road bike, so I'm kind of new at this. I've been riding mountain bikes since 1993, so I'm not new to riding. My last two mountain bike frames were purchased without me riding the same frame built up.

Thanks for the continued advice.
Why have you settled on the Giant? If it is your first bike, see what geometry is most comfortable before deciding on a particular make of bike.

If you compare Giant & Specialized on geometry you'll see that the TT is 13mm longer on the 54 Allez compared to the small TCR. But the Head tube is as tall as the TCR medium, so the Allez may be a better fit for you.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Hank Stamper said:
Almost certainly a small. 55.5 effective is big for just about any 5' 7" person and 53.5 is about right.

Do yourself a favor and wait until you shop measures you and then worry about it. Getting fit advice from strangers on the net who can't see you based on half arsed measurments usually isn't a good idea.
+1 My I am greeing with Hank on something:eek:

I would insist on a fit and a test ride. Some shops will order you the correct frame size for you to test ride. Shop around until you get the correct fit.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ultimobici said:
Why have you settled on the Giant? If it is your first bike, see what geometry is most comfortable before deciding on a particular make of bike.

If you compare Giant & Specialized on geometry you'll see that the TT is 13mm longer on the 54 Allez compared to the small TCR. But the Head tube is as tall as the TCR medium, so the Allez may be a better fit for you.
My first bike was a 1993 Rockhopper Expert. A fantastic bike for me at the time, though within a few months I knew I should have picked up a Stumpjumper intead. I'm not really interested in Specialized now though. I haven't run into too many Specialized dealerships that will stray from MSRP. Plus, if you look at the spec of the 2010 Tarmac SL, you're getting full Ultegra but with the Mavic Ksyrium Equippe wheelset. The spec of the 2010 Giant TCR Advanced 2, you're also getting full Ultegra but with the Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset. Specialized is downgrading parts to meet a price point. Sure, the MSRP is $100 more on the Giant, but it's not hard to find a dealer who will go seriously under the MSRP. No offense, but "Specialized" is a big name and I'd rather not pay for that. In the mountain bike world, I think you're getting as good as, or even better, a frame if you go with a boutique frame like Turner. Plus much more bang for the buck.

Your geometry argument is hard to go against though. Dratz. :)

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
IMO the two most important factors are intended use and proportions/ reach requirements.

You've pretty well defined the intended uses in your last post, and unless you've got an exceptionally long reach, you'd go with a small TCR. I'm 1" shorter (in both height and inseam), have slightly longer reach requirements given my height, and no way would a meduim Giant TCR fit me. It's seldom I'd definitively size someone sight unseen, but in this case the "S" is almost a certainty, partly because of Giant's sizing.

However, I agree with the others that settling on a brand because they control the CF process may not be wise. Giant, Merida, Ideal (among others) manufacture bikes for Trek, Specialized, Ridley... the list is long, but that doesn't mean that the actual manufacturers brands are superior to the others. The bikes are design "in-house" and manufactured to tht particular brands specs, so it's conceivable to have a higher quality Specialized (as one example) than Giant/ Merida/ Ideal.

I suggest branching out some, test riding some other brands/ models, comparing fit/ feel, ride and handling and deciding from there. You may still end up with the TCR, but at least then you'll have compared it to others in that market segment.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm off to a Giant dealership to put both a small and medium TCR Advanced SL on the trainer. Why the trainer? It's raining today.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
PJ352 said:
I suggest branching out some, test riding some other brands/ models, comparing fit/ feel, ride and handling and deciding from there. You may still end up with the TCR, but at least then you'll have compared it to others in that market segment.
I don't want to, but I know you're right. Thanks for the advice. I'll stop by the Specialized shop too and check things out.

ETA - There's a Trek dealership in town who is waiting for an Anniversary sale to lower the MSRP of the 2011 Madone 5.2 by a whopping 10%. I find that kind of ridiculous. Hey, I think Lance Armstrong is awesome, but just because he rides a Trek, doesn't mean I'm going to pay full retail, or only 10% less even, for one. Judging by the much lower prices than MSRP a few Fuji and Giant dealers have given me, I'm going to make an opinion that the bike industry has HUGE margins at the retail level.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
royta said:
I don't want to, but I know you're right. Thanks for the advice. I'll stop by the Specialized shop too and check things out.
While there, why not ride a couple of bikes. :thumbsup:

EDIT: ...when the rain stops...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
royta said:
There's a Trek dealership in town who is waiting for an Anniversary sale to lower the MSRP of the 2011 Madone 5.2 by a whopping 10%. I find that kind of ridiculous. Hey, I think Lance Armstrong is awesome, but just because he rides a Trek, doesn't mean I'm going to pay full retail, or only 10% less even, for one. Judging by the much lower prices than MSRP a few Fuji and Giant dealers have given me, I'm going to make an opinion that the bike industry has HUGE margins at the retail level.
10% is actually a pretty good discount this time of year on higher end bikes. If you do a line by line comparison with the Fuji and the Trek, you will see that the price is not too far apart. Fuji tends to give you an Ultegra RD with a 105 FD and Sora Brakes; while Trek will give you full Ultegra, not saying anything against 105 and Sora, it's just line for line when you compare the componants, the price is not too far off.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Then you've definitely chosen the right bike between those two. I'd recommend getting a pro fitting too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, I checked out a 2010 TCR Advanced SL 3 in Small. They put it in the trainer for me. They said it was about perfect for me. At first though, the first helper said it could possibly use a longer stem. This makes sense because it did feel slightly short. Then the shop owner made a slight adjustment on the saddle and he thought it was just fine. I did forget to look at where my knee lined up over the pedal spindle. The pavement was too wet for me to ride around the parking lot though. Too bad, that bike was nice and I could get it stupid cheap. I wasn't able to try a Medium. They must have been confused on the phone, because the Medium they said they had was actually a Medium/Large. A Medium would have been too long though. It's an extra 20mm on the top tube and I'm guessing the stem will be another 10mm longer anyway.

Then I went to the Specialized shop. They thought I'd be better off on a 52 rather than a 54, but unfortunately they didn't have any. The 2011's will be in the next week though. The rain had stopped and the pavement was dry, so I did ride one of the employees' Tarmac Expert SL in a 54. It felt like a nice bike. The size differences are so minimal that it's tough, for me, to really tell what's best or what I like.

I think the Giant is a nicer bike though. They have the aero seat post and the wider press fit bottom bracket shell.

I don't know, maybe I'll just ride my hand me down 51cm 1998 Bianchi EROS (with very updated drivetrain) with heavy wheels and a set of triples even. It's really only peer pressure that makes me want to plunk down $3000 for a new bike.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Save a $1000 and get the 105 group

royta said:
OK, I checked out a 2010 TCR Advanced SL 3 in Small. They put it in the trainer for me. They said it was about perfect for me. At first though, the first helper said it could possibly use a longer stem. This makes sense because it did feel slightly short. Then the shop owner made a slight adjustment on the saddle and he thought it was just fine. I did forget to look at where my knee lined up over the pedal spindle. The pavement was too wet for me to ride around the parking lot though. Too bad, that bike was nice and I could get it stupid cheap. I wasn't able to try a Medium. They must have been confused on the phone, because the Medium they said they had was actually a Medium/Large. A Medium would have been too long though. It's an extra 20mm on the top tube and I'm guessing the stem will be another 10mm longer anyway.

Then I went to the Specialized shop. They thought I'd be better off on a 52 rather than a 54, but unfortunately they didn't have any. The 2011's will be in the next week though. The rain had stopped and the pavement was dry, so I did ride one of the employees' Tarmac Expert SL in a 54. It felt like a nice bike. The size differences are so minimal that it's tough, for me, to really tell what's best or what I like.

I think the Giant is a nicer bike though. They have the aero seat post and the wider press fit bottom bracket shell.

I don't know, maybe I'll just ride my hand me down 51cm 1998 Bianchi EROS (with very updated drivetrain) with heavy wheels and a set of triples even. It's really only peer pressure that makes me want to plunk down $3000 for a new bike.
Most people say the latest components are better then their higher end models of just a few years ago. My MTB (Jamis Expert) has most all XT, so I thought my road bike should be all Ultegra, but found it hard to justify $3000+ to full around on a bike, ended up with a GF Cronus with 105 group, love it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I kind of went through the same as you last spring. I wanted to upgrade from my aluminum 105 equipped Fuji to something in carbon fiber.

I narrowed my choices to a Giant TCR Advance 2, Trek Madone, Specialized Tarmac, Jamis Zenith, and a Look 566. I liked the Giant the best, but the nearest Giant dealer only had a medium/large and I needed the medium. LBS said it would take at least 6 weeks for them to get a medium in stock. So, I called the Giant dealer in my old hometown (200 miles away and also who I bought the Fuji from). The owner didn't have one in stock, but she said she could call Giant and get one delivered to me within 10 days. I went ahead and ordered the bike from her.

I had a creak coming from somewhere on the bike, so I took it in to the local Giant dealer. They treated me like dirt and I am pretty sure its because I didn't buy the bike from them. That's too bad, because I am seriously contemplating buying a Giant Trance mountain bike, but now, not from them. And their service department got the last money that they will ever get from me.

Back to the TCR. It's a freaking awesome bike. I rode the Copper Triangle two weeks ago and it really climbs well. Last weekend I did a century with rolling hills and for that it also worked well. Aesthetically, its all business and not plastered with logos like the Specialized. If it fits, you'll like it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts