Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new digital camera. I currently use a Fuji finepix 2600 (I think thats the model # - it's at home, I'm at the office). The camera is great except for a couple things: new camera photo quality is so much better and (here's the big one), even with new batteries, it takes a good 15-20 seconds in between shots. With slightly used batteries, I have to wait all day. I hate waiting to take my next shot. My neighbor got a new digital with which he can snap off consecutive shots one after the other. Heck, he can do snap more shots in 30 seconds than I can take in 5 minutes. He paid a small fortune for the camera....it's his hobby.

I don't know anything about buying a 3 mega pixel vs 5 vs 8 ...??? Do you have any specific camera reccommendations that have a short turnaround time on shots, enough mega pixels (what is enough??) and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?? (...under $300) Remember, I'm not a professional photographer. In fact, I suck at photography which makes a digital perfect for me: take a billion shots and hope one or two are good. And another request...I would really like a slim, compact camera. I will be putting it in the back pocket of a cycling jersey occasionally. (If I wreck with a new a camera in my back pocket, I may be asking the board for a good divorce lawyer :D )

In advance, thanks for any input.

·
Registered
212 Posts
ok I assume youre looking for a point-and-shoot, not a digital SLR? you're looking for something small and light with a built in flash and maybe some optical zoom?

don't get caught up in someone telling you a camera has a mad amount of digital zoom - all that means is it makes the pixels bigger and so the closer you zoom in, the more pixelated your image is. crap, total crap, don't let them school you.

I hate to break it to you but even in this day and age all point & shoot digitals have a slight bit of shutterlag (that's your delay) it's how they write to the flash card. now the newest ones out will have a lot less than your old one, but that's the term you want to use in determining what you want to buy, tell the sales guy you want something with minimal shutterlag. digital SLRs like my Nikon don't have any because they're big enough to have their own built-in buffer, but your tradeoff there is portability. but man once you've had a dSLR you wont ever want to go back in terms of quality / flexability.

megapixels nowdays are pretty much a non-issue. once you get above 5 or so you can print out to 8x10" with no loss in quality. 6mp and you can print posters. and anyone who's had some of the big 8 and 10mp cameras will tell you that once you get above 5 or 6, then it's nothing to do with the mp count and everything to do with the lens quality and bit depth and how the camera stores the data (RAW, which is lossless or some other format, etc.)

so, if you're really serious you can get some info from here, but you'd be best going on some site like dpreview.com, they're a bunch of photo geeks/nerds and just lurking in their forums for a few hours you'll learn more than you ever want to.

personally if you're going to carry it on the bike, look for something light, solid state and weatherproof like the Stylus line or similar.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=40481

Here's a similar thread, FYI.

I like the Canon S series, like the S50, etc...not too large or small, metal bodies, good quality pictures, and decent prices. I own two Canons, an A60 and an SD200, and like both. The A60 was fixed for free by Canon for a CCD sensor problem, two years after its purchase.

I also own a Nikon D50, but it's the only Nikon I've used. I'm happy with it, though!

If I were you, I'd go to a Best Buy or Circuit City that has a good selection, and play around with some. Find a few you like, and read some reviews at the sites listed by the others. Then search around Amazon, B&H Photo, Beach Camera, Newegg, etc. for the best price.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
weapons grade chaos said:
now the newest ones out will have a lot less than your old one, but that's the term you want to use in determining what you want to buy, tell the sales guy you want something with minimal shutterlag.
Is minimal shutterlag really that important? If he is going to take action shots it probably is, but for riding around and taking pics of various objects I don't think it matters. I know it hasn't mattered to me yet. It only takes a second or so for mine to be ready for the next pic. I know some of the larger and older MP cameras were slow.

Another thing to look for Paul is the type of card it uses. Mine uses Compact Flash. I like that and SD. A lot of the newer camera in the summer of '04 when I was buying mine were using xD. I found that xD cards cost twice as much as the others so I stayed away from those cameras.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shutter lag

vol245 said:
Is minimal shutterlag really that important? If he is going to take action shots it probably is, but for riding around and taking pics of various objects I don't think it matters. I know it hasn't mattered to me yet. It only takes a second or so for mine to be ready for the next pic. I know some of the larger and older MP cameras were slow.

Another thing to look for Paul is the type of card it uses. Mine uses Compact Flash. I like that and SD. A lot of the newer camera in the summer of '04 when I was buying mine were using xD. I found that xD cards cost twice as much as the others so I stayed away from those cameras.
OK..now I have the technical terms down. I will go to best buy, CC, etc..and try them out.

No, shutterlag is no big deal when out on the bike. Sorry to make that impression. Shutterlag is important while taking shots of my children - who are in constant motion. It's just such a pain to say "stop...I gotta wait for the camera to recharge". After four years, it's time to step up to new technology.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
PaulCL said:
OK..now I have the technical terms down. I will go to best buy, CC, etc..and try them out.

No, shutterlag is no big deal when out on the bike. Sorry to make that impression. Shutterlag is important while taking shots of my children - who are in constant motion. It's just such a pain to say "stop...I gotta wait for the camera to recharge". After four years, it's time to step up to new technology.
They aren't that slow any more. I just took mine out side to see how fast I could take pictures and was able to take one a second. My brother has an HP that is a few years old and it takes at least 3 or 4 between them. I realize it is not like a film camera with a motor drive though.

·
The Right Wing
843 Posts
300 bucks should get you 5 MP in a compact format. Watch out for some Cannons that don't take regular AA batteries. Those batteries can be $40 to replace when they start to loose it.

I see a lot of price variation based on the size of the LCD display on the back of the camera. If this is of low imporatance to you, a smaller display (1.6" or 1.8") will get you a better bargain, genneraly.

Also, for similar features, expect Kodak to be lower cost. They are trying to grow market share right now, not profitability.

Price you memory card before you choose, so you know your real budget. A 512MB SD or CF card can cost a few bucks, eating into your camera money.

Look for a fast turn-on time. I find this to be very helpful, in going from pocket to flash before the moment passes. Once you have your camera out, nothing really special ever happens.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
vol245 said:
They aren't that slow any more. I just took mine out side to see how fast I could take pictures and was able to take one a second. My brother has an HP that is a few years old and it takes at least 3 or 4 between them. I realize it is not like a film camera with a motor drive though.
Focus speed is what kills you.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
KenB said:
Focus speed is what kills you.
I waited for it to focus before taking the pic in my backyard test.

My brother has a Nikon D100 and each picture it takes is about 10Mb in raw mode. It will buffer either 4 or 7 (my memory is not so good) so that can hold him up a bit as it takes the camera a while to write each pic out.

Someone else mentioned the Canon batteries. I bought my camera from Costco and it came with a big camera bag, a small camera bag and an extra battery. I haven't had issues with them wearing out yet, but I know they will be expensive. My previous digital was a Kodak 2MP and it used AA batteries which it went through like crazy. That would get pricey fast.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Small enough but not too expensive = Canon.

I have the SD450 and the S80 and am very happy with both. IMO, you don't really need
8+ mp unless you're gonna do portraits.

Ease of use + good pics + small footprint = Canon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a point and shoot - but I lost too many picture opportunities while the camera was trying to focus, etc. Now have a Nikon D70 digital SLR. Love it. So much so that I sold my Leica rangefinder b/c I never use it after having the dSLR. I know they aren't cheap, but you will use it and not regret it (and that's what it's all about). Hope this helps.

·
Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
AA Batteries....

53T said:
300 bucks should get you 5 MP in a compact format. Watch out for some Cannons that don't take regular AA batteries. Those batteries can be $40 to replace when they start to loose it.

I see a lot of price variation based on the size of the LCD display on the back of the camera. If this is of low imporatance to you, a smaller display (1.6" or 1.8") will get you a better bargain, genneraly.

Also, for similar features, expect Kodak to be lower cost. They are trying to grow market share right now, not profitability.

Price you memory card before you choose, so you know your real budget. A 512MB SD or CF card can cost a few bucks, eating into your camera money.

Look for a fast turn-on time. I find this to be very helpful, in going from pocket to flash before the moment passes. Once you have your camera out, nothing really special ever happens.
Most compact digitals go through AA batteries like crazy. I would NEVER consider a camera that used AA batteries. The batteries that come with cameras will last several hours longer than AA batteries will. Even if you buy rechargables you have to have a whole bag of them. I can take my either of my Canon (correct spelling) cameras out for a whole day of shooting without needing to change batteries. My DSLR can go for about 800 shots before needing a change. Both cameras use the same Lithium Ion battery so I don't have to worry about carrying different batteries. I can take both cameras on a day shoot and carry one spare battery. I rarely need it. AA batteries, while cheap, just don't have the power for most of today's digital cameras.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
spyderman said:
Small enough but not too expensive = Canon.

I have the SD450 and the S80 and am very happy with both. IMO, you don't really need
8+ mp unless you're gonna do portraits.

Ease of use + good pics + small footprint = Canon.
Keep in mind a MAJOR advantage to more megapixels. It leaves you more to crop! If you take a great pic but lack zoom or there's lots significant fluff in the frame then having hi res leaves you more room to crop and leave a pic that's still printable. People tend to think that they'll never need over 5MP and it's very true if you never digitally edit your pix. Once you start taking shots you'll realize that digital gives you so much freedom for post-processing and the more mega pixels the better.

Also, a higher res cam is going to grab more detail (well, it should...some don't) and more have more dynamic range (again, it should...) which will render a much more accurate exposure.

I shoot with a Nikon D200 & D2X but I also have a Canon SD20 (the smallest 5mp cam around) that goes everywhere with me including the cycling jersey. If you want point & shoot then go Canon...they make the best. I would never recommend an SLR to anyone that isn't sure what they need.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-T9. It is 6 mege Pix and 3x optical zoom, and it comes with a rechargable battery and charger. My previous camera used $13 battery and would only last for about 24 pics. Oh and the Cybershot is about the size of an average wallet.

Sean

·
Registered
426 Posts
AA batteries are the Size of the battery not the type. You can buy AA batteries in lithium or nickel metal hydrate or the old nickel-cadnium they are all the same size. My 6mp Pentax gets 400 shots to a set of lithium AA's here in Canada they are $12 for 2
Rick

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
chuckice said:
Keep in mind a MAJOR advantage to more megapixels. It leaves you more to crop! If you take a great pic but lack zoom or there's lots significant fluff in the frame then having hi res leaves you more room to crop and leave a pic that's still printable. People tend to think that they'll never need over 5MP and it's very true if you never digitally edit your pix. Once you start taking shots you'll realize that digital gives you so much freedom for post-processing and the more mega pixels the better.
This is a truth I didn't realize until I started shooting at 8MP.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
canon sd-500/550 (with some sample shots)

Got a SD500 about a year ago. Loved it. Great camera, small, fast. Lost it. Got a SD550 slightly different interface (think i preferred the other) and larger screen. Both great cameras, only just a little over your budget. 7.1 megapixels.

PaulCL said:
Do you have any specific camera reccommendations that have a short turnaround time on shots, enough mega pixels (what is enough??) and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?? (...under $300) Remember, I'm not a professional photographer. In fact, I suck at photography which makes a digital perfect for me: take a billion shots and hope one or two are good. And another request...I would really like a slim, compact camera. I will be putting it in the back pocket of a cycling jersey occasionally. (If I wreck with a new a camera in my back pocket, I may be asking the board for a good divorce lawyer

·
Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
Yes I know.

RCA said:
AA batteries are the Size of the battery not the type. You can buy AA batteries in lithium or nickel metal hydrate or the old nickel-cadnium they are all the same size. My 6mp Pentax gets 400 shots to a set of lithium AA's here in Canada they are $12 for 2
Rick
I realize that AA is a Size and not a type. Regardless of the type, AA batteries, with VERY few exceptions, Do Not have the capacity to run many of the higher compact digital or even DSLR cameras out there. I have a AA adapter for my Canon 20D and would love to be able to use AA batteries. Every set of rechargeables that I have used and I have tried about everything, failed to hold up even half as long as the battery that comes with the camera. AA batteries are pretty much considered a last ditch desperation move. Most digital SLRS have a much lower power draw than most compact cameras so I would still recommend against getting a camera that uses AA Size batteries.
There is a reason why companies develop high capacity batteries. As long as you are going to nit pick, you should know that the battery types you attempted to reference are Nickel Metal Hydride and and Nickel Cadmium.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts