Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Trek 1400, circa 1989, with the original seat. It is uncomfortable as hell after just a few (10-15) miles. The bike is great, tho. It was a garage queen that has no visible wear. The tires even had flakey rubber on the center seam.

So how do I go about finding a comfortable seat that fits my butt? Can I go to the LBS and try some on? My old Cannondale has a Selle Italia something or other that looks to be pretty old, but is comfortable. I know that that does not necessarily mean that if I were to buy another Selle Italia it would be as comfortable as the one on the Cannondale.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Saddles are very personal, so what I like you may not and vice versa. You have to find what works best for you.

If you have an interest in getting your sit bones measured, you can visit a Specialized (or Bonty) dealer and they'll measure them for you (I'd call first to see if they offer the service). There are also instructions on the Spec site to do it yourself at home. Knowing your size requirements alone won't get you a comfortable saddle, but at least you'll know what size to try.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I look to be a mid-range guy, I think. The site says everyone's butt sit is different, but there are just a few sizes, so I 'm guessing the fit for a seat is pretty much what feels good. I'm 5'10, 180. Think I'll go to my LBS and try some on. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
PJ352 said:
Saddles are very personal, so what I like you may not and vice versa. You have to find what works best for you.

If you have an interest in getting your sit bones measured, you can visit a Specialized (or Bonty) dealer and they'll measure them for you (I'd call first to see if they offer the service). There are also instructions on the Spec site to do it yourself at home. Knowing your size requirements alone won't get you a comfortable saddle, but at least you'll know what size to try.
do you happen to have a link? I can't find it on the site.

Chad

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe the measuring part is another page on the site. I couldn't find that, but knowing there are three sizes (I think I'm mid range) narrows it down for me enough. Maybe PJ will chime in here with an answer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe you could go to your dentist's office, get a big piece of that blue paper he uses to correct the bite on your new crown, sit on it, measure (in millimeters) the distance between the two biggest indents, and that would be your size!

Just kidding.

But it's probably something like that.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Nimitz said:
do you happen to have a link? I can't find it on the site.

Chad
Go to Specialized online support, then search for measuring sit bones , but here's the gist of it:
How to measure saddle size at home.
Published 11/07/2008 06:34 AM | Updated 02/24/2010 04:55 PM
Any tips on how to measure yourself (e.g. sit bone position) and select appropriate Specialized saddle?There is a way to find out your sit bone width at home... first of all, find some kind of compressable foam that will hold it's shape for a few moments when you stand up.

I have a sleeping bag pad that works great for this. It's foam, but when you stand up, it will hold it's shape for a bit. I can think of some stadium seat cushions I have seen that would work well too.

Put the foam on a low box or chair that will have your thighs at the same level as they are when your foot is at the top of the pedal stroke. Usually just find something low enough that your thighs are almost parallel to the ground, and that is about right (site with heels in as well, upper body just like you are pedaling)..

After sitting on the foam for long enough to make an indentation, stand up, and use your fingertips to find the low points, alternately you can drop some ball bearings in the indentations, and they will immediately roll to the low points...

Measure this distance, center-to-center, for a "neutral" riding position, this is you hipbone width.

If your sitbones are between 70 & 100mm, you should ride a 130mm saddle, unless you ride in an upright, comfort position. Then you should ride a 143.

If your sitbones are between 100 & 130mm, you should ride a 143mm, unless you ride in a very upright, comfort position. Then you should ride a 155

If your sitbones measure out between 130mm and 160mm, and you ride a very Aerodynamic, racing or triathlon position, you should ride a 143mm saddle. All other riding positions should use a 155.

Many Specialized dealers also have a device we lovingly refer to as the Ass-o-meter that achieves theis same measurement. At worst, drop in and ask them about it!

·
RoadBikeRider
907 Posts
Use play doh. Roll it out fairly thin with a rolling pin or wine bottle. Sit down on it carefully for a couple minutes. Get up and measure. Give it back to your kids.

·
Registered
152 Posts
TL;DR the thread.

If you're new…measure as I think someone outlined above and talk to your LBS. If you're really new (i don't think that's the case), give it some time.

I recently replaced my OEM saddle with a selle italia something or other that I saw in the Performance Bike store near me (was picking up tubes). I saw it sitting there and it looked like the right shape…felt less kushy than my current saddle…and seemed to flex in a way that i thought might be better. I was right. Love it. $90 well spent, considering that I was about to spend twice that to get rid of that OEM thing that was a pain in the @$$.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I tried the flour in a bag deal today and it was extremely hard to get an accurate measurement. but as far as I could tell was somewhere near 130mm and I'm on a 131mm saddle that does have pretty significant sit bone pain so makes sense.

Chad

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I went to my favorite LBS and they had a contraption that measured the distance between my sit bones. The guy gave me umteen dozen seats to choose from. I stayed within my budget and installed the Bontrager this morning, along with new tires and tubes and went out for a 15-20 mile ride. The seat was perfect...no issues. Also, the guy at the store said to keep all related paperwork (receipt and packaging) and I have 30 days to try it out. I can bring it back if it doesn't work out.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
lopresti said:
I went to my favorite LBS and they had a contraption that measured the distance between my sit bones. The guy gave me umteen dozen seats to choose from. I stayed within my budget and installed the Bontrager this morning, along with new tires and tubes and went out for a 15-20 mile ride. The seat was perfect...no issues. Also, the guy at the store said to keep all related paperwork (receipt and packaging) and I have 30 days to try it out. I can bring it back if it doesn't work out.
So far, so good. Hope it works out for you!! :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts