Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about 5'6 or 5'7 with a like 30 inseam. I currently ride a trek madone full dura-ace and I don't want to screw it up racing. The Madone is a 52cm and I don't know if I should be looking at a 52 or 54 cannondale frame. I am set on an older like 06-08 CAAD frame. which size would be better?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant unfortunatly but I think the 52 will work. I just like the sound of having a stiff light and cheap to replace frame. I hear wonderful things about the CAAD's and am exited to try one. I am looking at the raw aluminum one right now.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Before you drop bucks on a used Caad, you might want to check out what Cannondale says about the life of their racing frames.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im curious why you say that do you know something about there life span that I dont? I have always heard good things about Cannondal's especially the CAAD

·
Registered
627 Posts
What bigbill is talking about is probably that cannondale say to replace their frames every couple of years when racing. Now dont be scared because Ive seen guys ride caad's for years with no problems but when racing a bike you put alot of abuse on it. I dont know if youre planning on racing or how hardcore you want to be but im sure a caad will still be great. They do ride a little harsh compared to other bikes but a good post, bibs, fork will cure most of that.... they are not the terrible ride that some people make them out to be. What I can tell you is that they are about the fastest bike when it comes to acceleration so it should be a fun ride. Ive thought about dropping my scott S10 for a caad frame or a specialized E5 S-works but im just not going to bother.... for me id get a C'dale or spec and still want a moots so i guess Ill just keep saving up.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
you need to test ride any bike before buying. i'm 5'6, 29.5" inseam and anything with a top tube longer than 52cm won't work. at least not with a 10cm stem. this is usually found on 49-50cm seat tubed frames. Do a 10 mile test ride......... if you can't, wait for the next great deal.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Another point.

If you're sensitive to bar drop, make sure you look at head tube lengths as well. The pre-2008 52 cm Madone had a 10.1 cm head tube. The new 52 cm Madone has a 14.0 cm head tube in the 'performance' version; an 11.0 cm head tube in the 'pro' version. Since we don't know which Madone you're riding, any comparison to a Cannondale in the area of bar drop can be no more than a guess.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
B15serv said:
What bigbill is talking about is probably that cannondale say to replace their frames every couple of years when racing.
The OP said he was getting it because he didn't want to race his madone. I interpreted that to mean he intended to race the cannondale.

·
Registered
151 Posts
dwadamcat said:
I am about 5'6 or 5'7 with a like 30 inseam. I currently ride a trek madone full dura-ace and I don't want to screw it up racing. The Madone is a 52cm and I don't know if I should be looking at a 52 or 54 cannondale frame. I am set on an older like 06-08 CAAD frame. which size would be better?
I am almost exact same size as you maybe little shorter inseam closer to 5'7 and I ride a 2006 CAAD8 52cm.

For comparison sakes I test rode a Trek when I bouht that nt a Madone but if I bought the Trek was gonna actually gonna go 54, go figure.

Long Story short I think if you cannot test ride then go with the 52. You will be happy and if not you can proabbly unload very easily and hopefully not loose anything. I am not real experieced about Road bike but have done my research and I think you will be happy, I am very happy with mine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
CAADs run a little big. An acquaintance had a 52 CAAD and he was 5'6". He ended up going to a 50cm and I bought his 52. I'm over 5'8" and the bike fit me fine. It feels bigger than my 52cm Paramount, more like my 54cm Gunnar Roadie.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Size down. Always Size down. Sizing up is always the bigger mistake.

Size down!

Lose the weight... it's cheaper that way. And I'm serious here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.