Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a used Moots, and wonder what y'all know about Moots' friendliness toward second owners?

I ask because I've heard that Seven is quite negative toward second owners, releasing absolutely no information on the build, but many other builders will provide details like frame geometry/measurements if you provide them with a serial number.

Does anyone know if they will honor what's left of a warranty or whether a second owner can purchase a warranty?

There's a Moots Vamoots I've seen from a private seller who is asking $2000 (seems a bit steep - I may be wrong) but includes both a Moots seatpost and Moots stem as well as Chris King headset - what do you think?

I posted this in the Moots forum too, but have yet to get a response -

·
Registered
4 Posts
I called Moots to confirm some specs. when I bought a used frame. Wendy from Moots was very helpful. Super friendly and generous with her time. I've since bought another Moots frame and have called Steamboat a bunch of times. Always nice to deal with...Just give them a call.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I called Moots to confirm some specs. when I bought a used frame. Wendy from Moots was very helpful. Super friendly and generous with her time. I've since bought another Moots frame and have called Steamboat a bunch of times. Always nice to deal with...Just give them a call.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
jhamlin38 said:
my guess is that you won't find much information, and that you'll get a frosty response, if any from moots.
My experience is exactly the opposite... I picked up a used vamoots frame on Ebay and called to check on the serial # and find out if it was a stock or custom frame and get some more geometry details than the owner provided in the listing. The woman I spoke to at Moots was very helpful in pulling the build sheet and giving me all the info that I needed. As for warranty... that may be a different issue. My bike was built in 1998 so I wasn't expecting any warranty support on a 10 year old bike. I also bought some bibs from Moots that didn't fit and swapping them for the right size was no problem either. My.02...

singlecross

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
If you are worried about a warranty, you can send the frame to moots for a refurbishment. They inspect the frame, buff out scratches, and replace the decals. Probably do more than that, but I looked into a used Moots a year ago and would have bought it if I could have justified another bike. BTW, it sold for $1600 with fork, headset, stem, and post and it was fresh from a refurb at the factory so it was essentially new.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big Bill - thanks for your info. This seller wants (as I said) $2000, so his price seems a bit steep. He may be willing to negotiate, and if so and we can settle on a fair price for both of us I think I'll buy it!

singlecross and drewdog- I called Moots today and my experience was like yours - they woman I spoke with couldn't have been more helpful! No warranty coverage is possible though, once it's been sold to someone else - only orginal owners.

Anyone else venture a thought on the $2000 asking price. I know the Moots stem and seatpost ain't cheap, but a NEW Moots Vamoots frame goes for 2750 (the Moots rep told me), so I question only $750 less for a used frame (even with the stem and seatpost).

·
Registered
4 Posts
WGP - I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty issue. I haven't heard of too many warranty issues with Moots. The price seems a little high, but if the frame is not too old, and has been well cared for...it is worth making an offer.

BTW I went through a lot of frames in the last 20 years. I was pretty much always looking for the next one. I've been riding the Vamoots for 5 years now and have yet to be tempted by another...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Moots

wgp-

Here's my take on ti frames. For a serious recreational rider, it is absolutely the best frame material. Carbon is lighter, and for professional racers, carbon makes sense. But for me, having ridden steel, aluminum, carbon, and ti, I feel the ti ride is far and away the best. I now have frames from Moots (compact), Serotta (Legend), and Litespeed (Siena).

I also feel that unless you have special needs for a custom geometry, the number of stock frames available makes a custom fit probably unnecessary for most of us. Therefore, given the quality from the aforementioned ti builders, I would think that buying a new stock frame is worth the investment. Save money by not getting a custom fit, rather then buying a used frame, especially if the price is only a few hundred less than new.

Once used, regardless of how much ridden, the asking price should come down quite a bit. Perhaps $ 1500 would be a fairer price.

Hope this is useful.

·
S-Works Tarmac SL3
827 Posts
If that Moots fits you and is in excellent shape, then I would not hesitate to buy it. The Vamoots is somewhat of a bargain even at its list price. The craftsmanship on these frames is virtually without peer.

I will repeat: If it fits, buy it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.