Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and new to cycling as well. I have bought a Corsa 01 which is drop dead sweet! The addiction started and I'm thinking of getting a second Merckx and I have some questions regarding the following bikes.

- pic 1 seems to have somekind of teamcolors, but I've never seen that colorscheme. Also, no sign of columbus sticker on the tube. Now, I've read somewhere that Merckx had licenced his brand to some minor quality bikes for supermarkets. Could this be one of them?

- pic 2 seems to have the Panasonic colors. Only I can't find any other panasonic Merckx with the name in the rounded 'Merckx' letters, only in the earlier italic style. Also: the way the brake cable runs on top of the top tube and not inside seems to be not like any other Merckx I've seen. What do you guys think?

- pic 3 is the other way around. Cool Telekom colors, but never seen on a frame like this and with the Merckx name in the older 'italic' letters.

I hope you guys fiend these questions not too stupid. As said: I'm a newby ;)

Thanks a lot for the help

regards

·
Registered
497 Posts
All you ever wanted to know about team colors: http://www.tearsforgears.com/search/label/team colors

All appear to be legit Merckx frames. His licensing was primarily with Falcon and was in the 70's, which is way earlier than any of these frames.

I don't recall the team of the 1st bike, but I've seen that paint scheme before on several bikes being sold in Europe. Most recently on one in Sweden.

One thing you'll come to realize about Merckx frames is that there are no rules when it comes to paint. The schemes varied by year, by painter, and by the buyer who might have requested the design slightly differently than the standard.

Looks like you have some great options either way though!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the advice guys!

I'm checking out the middle one tomorrow. I've checked the serial nr with the Merckx factory and it was proper panasonic team colors when it left the factory in '86.

I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys,

i just bought the Panasonic.

Ksanbon: It's a corsa extra with slx frame, size 56. For the rest it has a full Campagnolo group but I don't really know which one (if some has tips on how to recognize it: feel free), Mavic rims, rolls sadle (unfortunately a bit damaged)

I'm really pleased with it. Tomorrow i'll start cleaning it up.

Thanks again for the tips!!!

·
my bike's underpowered
440 Posts
Congratulations! The Panasonic is one of my favorites and I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

Thank you for the information - I don't feel left out now that I know it's too big.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
woepsi...

what I wanted to say is that it looks really good in the flesh, although not immaculate. A few paint chips and some parts of the groups need a good cleaning. It's no real problem for me since I think it give the bike some soul (it's 23 years old heh) and I bought it to use for the upcoming autumn/winter and to learn how to work on a bicycle (maintainance) ...

cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts