Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so at this stage I am just weighing my options... not ready to pull the trigger on a bike. I am considering some newer bikes... a Bianchi Nirone or Specialized Tarmac... something with a 105/ultegra mix. However, I am just not sure I can swallow spending that much on a bike for another year or so (since I am in school).

I am considering trying to find something used but in excellent condition. I know that there are a lot of bikes out there people buy and ride only a couple of times and sit for a few years.

I really want STI shifters, not downtube shifters. Dont want any totally crappy components (nothing below equivalent of 105)

So... here is the question... when looking at older bikes what components are good? What can I find under $500?? Any tips of finding good deals on a clean used bike?

Hoping to find something I can ride on over 50 mile rides and survive.

· Registered
656 Posts
craigslist.

Go and check the bike out before you buy.

Shimano components have kept their names over the years, so 105 is at the same level in the shimano groups as it was a few years ago. However, you may hear people recommend to be wary of 9 speed 105s. Apparently the 10 speed is better, but I haven't had any personal experience.

You can find a good amount of stuff for 500. I got my cross bike for 500 on craigslist, it's got 105 and tiagra w/ a carbon fork.

You can always go the ebay route, but know exactly what you are buying and if it will fit. Unless the seller is local, there's no way to check it out and take a test ride.

Good luck with the search and to be honest if it's your first bike and you're only looking to survive 50+, I wouldn't worry too much about going below 105s. Sora and Tiagra will do a fine job for a new rider. I had sora on my first bike, my best friend has it on his bike. It won't ride or shift quite as smooth as dura-ace, but itll get the job done easily.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.