Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I live in the USA, and I'm about to leave to Philippines for a vacation.
I still don't have my road bike yet, :mad2: , and I'm thinking of buying one there since my parents said it would be a bit cheaper.

Now I have thoughts into my mind, that if I buy a Road Bicycle there, it might be fake or possibly a piece of SH*T.

Wondering from your guy's prespective, do you guy's think its fine to buy a bike there?

Of course, I'm going to go to a official Bicycle Shop somewhere there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not a good idea.

Are you kidding? This is a no brainer. NO!!
Issues:
1. Quality. It might be fake
2. Local bike shop support. This is part of buying a bike. A good bike fit is essential. The free servicing you get also is critical. Doubt you will get the first, you will not get the second.
3. Damage to the bike in travel. If you are buying a nice road bike, even a scuffing of the paint job makes this a bad proposition.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yowman said:
Issues:
1. Quality. It might be fake
2. Local bike shop support. This is part of buying a bike. A good bike fit is essential. The free servicing you get also is critical. Doubt you will get the first, you will not get the second.
3. Damage to the bike in travel. If you are buying a nice road bike, even a scuffing of the paint job makes this a bad proposition.
Issues:
1. Quality. It might be fake DUH, How can I avoid getting a fake one?
2. Local bike shop support. This is part of buying a bike. A good bike fit is essential. The free servicing you get also is critical. Doubt you will get the first, you will not get the second. Of course! I'm going to their shop and have them size me, before buying a bicycle.
3. Damage to the bike in travel. If you are buying a nice road bike, even a scuffing of the paint job makes this a bad proposition. Well I will put it in a good shipping box with popcorn everywhere xD

·
Registered
19 Posts
DUH, How can I avoid getting a fake one? You can't.
I'm going to their shop and have them size me, before buying a bicycle. Good luck!
Well I will put it in a good shipping box with popcorn everywhere. That should work really well, NOT.

Two additional comments:
1. Road cycling works in countries that have relatively smooth roads and relatively benign traffic. Because the Philippines has neither of these, I find it unlikely that there will be a critical mass of cycling to support a quality road bike shop.

2. If you are buying an expensive (>$1,500) bike why risk getting a bum deal? If you are buying a cheaper bike, you are not likely to save much, so why hassle it?

I don't mean to be a jerk, but this just sounds like a bad idea.

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
There are quite a few people that ride road bikes, and they have some really great racing over in the Philippines. Unfortunately, the traffic is crazy, and riding there is just stupid. The roads are narrow, the drivers go fast, and like Yowman says, the roads aren't very good. The unfortunate thing is that most of the frames are locally made with Lightspeed or Trek decals slapped on them, and the components are Yang Shin, imported from China. Most of the riders ride single speeds most of the time. Shimano components are almost impossible to get, and if you do find them the groups and bikes are about 50% more than in the US.

If you could buy in Europe or Japan, you might get a deal. But you won't get a deal in the Philippines.

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
BoootyHoIe said:
How about fitting? lol. Can I get a deal in fitting in the Philippines?
They don't worry about fit. They just try and get enough tubes repaired to be able to ride.

Have you ever been to the Philippines? If not, you'll see. Bike shops as we know them are almost non-existant.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I don't think he's listening very much.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
More like a typical teenager. He should move to MTBR :).

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
In that case, I'll try and give a more detailed answer. There are a couple of bike shops in the Philippines that are on par with a low to mid-end bike shop in the US. There is one in the Mega-Mall, and I went to one in Makati, Manila that wasn't bad. They had a few recognizable brands like Trek and Cannondale. The prices were quite high though, and most of their stock was mountain bike, not road bike related. They did have some parts, and some complete groups. The prices were quite high, and they did not have any Campy at all.

The Philippines has quite high import taxes. Cars, bikes, and electronic goods are taxed at a rate of 50%, so any bike there would have transportation costs, tariffs, and a markup added to the price. You also might get hit with a duty when you bring said bike into the US. All in all, it is not a good idea, and will not get you a deal.

My wife is Pinay, and I lived in the Philippines for almost three years. I speak passable Tagalog, as well as some Ilocono and Pangisanan. I traveled extensively on Luzon. I was last there one year ago, almost to the day.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Own Private Idaho said:
In that case, I'll try and give a more detailed answer. There are a couple of bike shops in the Philippines that are on par with a low to mid-end bike shop in the US. There is one in the Mega-Mall, and I went to one in Makati, Manila that wasn't bad. They had a few recognizable brands like Trek and Cannondale. The prices were quite high though, and most of their stock was mountain bike, not road bike related. They did have some parts, and some complete groups. The prices were quite high though.

The Philippines has quite high import taxes. Cars, bikes, and electronic goods are taxed at a rate of 50%, so any bike there would have transportation costs, tariffs, and a markup added to the price. You also might get hit with a duty when you bring said bike into the US. All in all, it is not a good idea, and will not get you a deal.

My wife is Pinay, and I lived in the Philippines for almost three years. I speak passable Tagalog, as well as some Ilocono and Pangisanan. I traveled extensively on Luzon. I was last there one year ago, almost to the day.
Omg. I love you. Someone who can actually answer, yet is nice. =)
I'm just asking questions guys, not flame wars. Yes I am a teenager, 15.
ANYWAYS, alright. I won't get one from the Philippines. =)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My Own Private Idaho said:
In that case, I'll try and give a more detailed answer. There are a couple of bike shops in the Philippines that are on par with a low to mid-end bike shop in the US. There is one in the Mega-Mall, and I went to one in Makati, Manila that wasn't bad. They had a few recognizable brands like Trek and Cannondale. The prices were quite high though, and most of their stock was mountain bike, not road bike related. They did have some parts, and some complete groups. The prices were quite high though.

Omg. I love you. Someone who can actually answer, yet is nice. =)
I'm just asking questions guys, not flame wars. Yes I am a teenager, 15.
ANYWAYS, alright. I won't get one from the Philippines. =)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stuff that is cheaper in the Philippines

Sorry if I was rough on you BootyHole, it just was so obviously a bad idea. Think of it as Tough Love. At any rate, good to get the expert opinion of Idaho, particularly since he agreed with me!

I'm sure Idaho can chime in with better answers on stuff you should buy, but here goes.

You can get knock-offs of designer shirts (Polo, etc) for really cheap. If there is some clothing you want custom made, bring a picture and you can find a tailor to make it. Good deals on pirated DVDs.

BTW, what is a BootyHole? :confused:

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
White spot in the black. . .bootyhole?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.