Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am a mountain biker and run with a 2015 fuel ex 9 29" wheel. The bike is fantastic however sometimes the trails are muddy or Ungroomed a week at a time. I started considering a road bike more when several people said it was a good way of cross training as well.

I have a dealer near me that gets amazing deals on Fuji stuff so I am between a few models

Fuji Sportif 2.1
fuji Roubaix 1.1
Fuji Gran Fondo Classic 1.3

the biggest difference is obviously geometry. I am going to test ride these guys but I am wondering how uncomfortable the race bikes are for an hour to two hour ride compared to the endurance style bikes? I don't plan on doing immensely long rides, maybe once I work up to it 20-30 miles or so.

I've done some research on components and understand the 105 stuff is good and that the ultegra is slightly better, but for the small cost difference between the roubaix 1.3 and 1.1 id rather have the 1.1

budget is 1000 or less. I know the fondo will be a bit more, but they offered me a $430 sale price for a Sportif 2.5 which shows on Fuji site for $560 so I am hoping that they can work some magic

i did look at the trek 1.2 but it's a lot of money for the components you get. Other suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
I don't know Fuji bikes, so I can't get into the specifics of Fuji.

But in general, Shimano 105 is best bang for the bux, and I would classify the 105 groupset as race-worthy. 105 is the sweetspot.

As far as "frame comfort" goes, well this is 'nother can of worm, because "comfort" is really a subjective feeling that result in the interaction of your frame and YOUR feeling of comfort. For example, when I first switch from mtb to road, every damn road frame (even so-called roubaix, fondo, whatever) was uncomfortable for me. Of course back then, "comfort" for me was riding a fully squishy mtb bike with almost 6" travel front and back! But, now that I'm on the road bike for over 3 years, I can ride a century (5-7 hours, depending on elevation gained) on pretty much any road bike, even the so-called "pure bred" race bikes such as Specialized Tarmac, Cervelo S3, Scott Addict, Pinarello F8, etc. Simply put, my butt, hands, back, have gotten used to sitting in on a road bike for a long duration of time (something you don't do on an mtb bike).

Having said that, I still find that a "roubaix" or "fondo" bike is still more comfortable than a pure race bred bike. Even a CX bike is a tad more comfortable too, and you might also want to consider a CX bike, so don't rule out CX bikes, especially a CX bike with disc brake might just fit your need nicely.

Every experience roadie will tell you the most important thing to comfort is "fit". And unfortunately here, the topic of fitting is quite a complicated one, and it can be hard to fully grasp if you've never ridden a road bike before. But of course, you're asking this very question because you've never ridden one. So it's a little bit of a catch-22 situation for you. And, your fit and comfort also changes with time too, so you'll want to think about that too (i.e., don't slam the stem just yet). But hopefully, you will get enough chimes in from members in here that you will somewhat of a clue as to which bike model will be best for you.

I'm guessing that all the Fuji bikes you mentioned above are definitely good starting point. After all, Fuji tend to make bikes that has to fit the mass population, so chances are one of them will fit your need nicely. But don't forget to look into a CX bike with disc (but disc might be more expensive, and disc standard is still evolving in the road world, so maybe not?)

edit:
hmm come to think about it, I did have a Fuji Roubaix bike a long time ago, back in 2008 I believe. This was when I wasn't a serious roadie yet. And as I recall, it was aluminum and pretty comfortable. I don't recall anything harsh about bit. Of course that was 8 years ago when I was younger too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I tried one with the race geo and didn't like it so I have 2 bikes I am kind of between.

First bike is a leftover 2014 Fuji Grand Fondo 2.5 which I can get for $1399. It has a 105 group except for the crank and cassette,

I am also looking at a TREK Emonda S5 which is also Carbon like the GF2.5 but has a FULL 105 group, but will also probably cost in the 1700-1800 range.

The salesman showed me the fuji, but also told me he has been riding TREK road bikes only because he says their frame designs are better and stiffer. I am very happy with my TREK MTB but don't have any experience with road bikes.

What Im wondering is how the grand fondo 2.5 is and how decent their CF frames are. I could always finish up the 105 group on the Fuji down the road, i think I can get a crank and cassette for under $200 total

The other thing of it is, I can get a similarly equipped 2016 Fondo for around the same money, and it has a 105 cassette already

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Get the fit you want/need. Don't worry about what the bike is called (endurance, race, whatever).

Then rule out bikes that fit but can only take 23mm tires to address comfort. that is unless you're light and/or for whatever reason won't use tires bigger than 23.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,664 Posts
Every experience roadie will tell you the most important thing to comfort is "fit".
^^^This.^^^

Get the fit you want/need.
^^^And this.^^^

In other words, don't focus on brand. There are many great brands out there and very few bad ones. I will emphasize that there is nothing more important than a good fit. A good fit depends on a good bike shop that is willing to spend time and work with you to put you and the bike on a trainer, watch you pedal and make adjustments to dial in your fit.

I don't know a lot about Fuji bikes, but I believe them to be as good as most of the major brands. One thing that confused me is that you say you didn't feel comfortable on race frames, but you are looking at a Trek Emonda. The Trek Emonda is a race bike. You would probably feel more comfortable on a Trek Domane which is a more relaxed bike generally referred to as an "endurance" bike.

Other good endurance bikes you may want to look at are the Cannondale Synapse, Specialized Roubaix and Giant Defy.

Oh, and did I mention fit? :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.