Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am a mountain biker and run with a 2015 fuel ex 9 29" wheel. The bike is fantastic however sometimes the trails are muddy or Ungroomed a week at a time. I started considering a road bike more when several people said it was a good way of cross training as well.

I have a dealer near me that gets amazing deals on Fuji stuff so I am between a few models

Fuji Sportif 2.1
fuji Roubaix 1.1
Fuji Gran Fondo Classic 1.3

the biggest difference is obviously geometry. I am going to test ride these guys but I am wondering how uncomfortable the race bikes are for an hour to two hour ride compared to the endurance style bikes? I don't plan on doing immensely long rides, maybe once I work up to it 20-30 miles or so.

I've done some research on components and understand the 105 stuff is good and that the ultegra is slightly better, but for the small cost difference between the roubaix 1.3 and 1.1 id rather have the 1.1

budget is 1000 or less. I know the fondo will be a bit more, but they offered me a $430 sale price for a Sportif 2.5 which shows on Fuji site for $560 so I am hoping that they can work some magic

i did look at the trek 1.2 but it's a lot of money for the components you get. Other suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I tried one with the race geo and didn't like it so I have 2 bikes I am kind of between.

First bike is a leftover 2014 Fuji Grand Fondo 2.5 which I can get for $1399. It has a 105 group except for the crank and cassette,

I am also looking at a TREK Emonda S5 which is also Carbon like the GF2.5 but has a FULL 105 group, but will also probably cost in the 1700-1800 range.

The salesman showed me the fuji, but also told me he has been riding TREK road bikes only because he says their frame designs are better and stiffer. I am very happy with my TREK MTB but don't have any experience with road bikes.

What Im wondering is how the grand fondo 2.5 is and how decent their CF frames are. I could always finish up the 105 group on the Fuji down the road, i think I can get a crank and cassette for under $200 total

The other thing of it is, I can get a similarly equipped 2016 Fondo for around the same money, and it has a 105 cassette already

1 - 2 of 2 Posts