Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I hope this is the right forum. My wife has done a couple of triathlons and wants to go more aggressive this year. She is a strong swimmer and runner, but she has been limping along with a $200 road bike. I would like to do what I can to get her into an intermediate bike for a few years before we jump to something high-end.

Right now I am looking at a couple bikes. The first is a 2011 Felt b12 for $800. It is being sold by a local private seller and has a couple scratches, both cosmetic. With this bike, I could afford to grab some race wheels, and I have been looking at FLO 60/90 for budget purposes, or maybe even Planet X carbon if reviews are good.

My question, really, is whether this is a good way to approach at ~$2000 budget on a tri-bike. The bike is stock, and I want to upgrade what I can within that price point, but if simply spending more on the bike itself is a better idea, then I want to do that. We have been looking at a Cervelo P3 on eBay, with the same groupset, but the Felt seems like a really good deal.

Am I better off spending the $800 for the Felt and upgrading the wheels and other things, or am I better off looking for a higher end bike? There's a bike swap coming up in a few months, but I have a feeling I will be asking the same questions.

Thank you!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Get the Felt if it fits your wife. It is a perfectly fine bike and get some nicer wheels that can follow the next bike if you ever upgrade. For the money, $800 is hard to beat for what you get on a used TT bike especially if it still has the stock SRAM RED components.

I bought a 2012 B12 (same frame, different paint scheme and components though) myself a few years ago on closeout in fall of 2013 (when they were making room for 2014's). I've decided to keep it for a couple more years at least and I recently upgrade to 11 speed (just because I wanted not because I needed it). We'll see....I probably might keep it for a awhile.

If you still want to buy new, Felt just announced the IA16 which is their latest and greatest superbike frame design but more budget conscious if you are willing to spend a little more (they are $3k). Assuming the bike fits you wife.

Don't discount the used wheel market either, you can score some deep dish HED Jet wheels for less than what Flo's are going for new (I'd prefer them over Flo's...but I already have a couple of sets of HED wheels and I live close to their corporate HQ so I might be biased on that).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I was really surprised by the price on the Felt, but didn't want to go cheap for the sake of going cheap if my budget is ~$2k. I appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
One thing I'd try to remember is that older TT bikes tend to have not as much clearance at the stays. This may make putting new wider wheelsets on them problematic.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, thanks; is there any way to find out what will or will not fit on the bike? I am hoping to get the wheels right away.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I can tell you on my B12, 23mm wide wheels fit no problem as that is what I run now. It looks like there is enough clearance to fit 25mm wide too. The 28mm ones should fit (according the Super Dave, the Felt guy) but I think it might be cutting it too close.

One thing to say it is a tricky to adjust that rear brake for wider wheels though...you are better off removing the cranks to gain access to both side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.