Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a noon looking to buy my first road bike. I have modified my mountain bike to perform more like a road bike (smooth tires, clip less pedals) but I think it is time to upgrade. I want something that I will not want to replace in 6 months. My current bike is a specialized hard rock and I like specialized bikes but the Giant Defy Advanced 2 seems like a really good bang for you buck.

Does anyone have that Giant bike? Would you recomend it? Any other recommendations? I am looking at the endurance geometry that will be easier on my back since I am not very flexible. My full list of bikes in consideration are Trek Domaine, Specialized Roubaix, this Giant and Cannondale synapse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Sounds like you know more than most noobs shopping for a bike. Yes to endurance geometry. Yes to a professional bike fit post purchase, perhaps you can roll into sale? and yes, these bikes are all decent values.

At the entry to mid level you're really buying a label. All the bikes have been vetted, polished through iterations and perform similarly. Definitely go with the one that "moves" you. It sounds silly but you will ride a bike that is attractive and that looks good standing still or flying.

=

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually have the opportunity to buy a new 2015 defy advanced 3 for $850.i think I can't go wrong tgere

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just tried a friend’s 2015 Defy Advance and it was a very nice bike with endurance geometry similar to my own bike. Only thing I don’t like is the pressfit bottom bracket.I do most of my own bike maintenance, so I prefer threaded bottom brackets because I have the tools for them.

An endurance carbon framed bike with a threaded bottom bracket I’d like to own is the Bianchi Intenso in Celeste blue.
My brother owns a black one, but I’ve only ridden it a very short distance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have both the Giant Defy Comp-2 (2013) and the Trek Domane 5.2 (2014) out of the two I would take the Domane I find it slightly more comfortable on 50 plus mile rides, but only slightly. My Defy has SRAM Apex 10 speed components while the Domane has Shimano Ultegra 11 speed components. and the Defy I picked up for about half the cost of the Domane since it was a year left over.

My best advise is go to local bike shops and test ride the different bikes and hopefully they will let you take it out for a longer ride than just around a parking lot. My bike shop allowed me to take both bikes out and I did a quick 5-6 mile loop.

Best of luck in your search

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Sounds like you know more than most noobs shopping for a bike. Yes to endurance geometry. Yes to a professional bike fit post purchase, perhaps you can roll into sale? and yes, these bikes are all decent values.

At the entry to mid level you're really buying a label. All the bikes have been vetted, polished through iterations and perform similarly. Definitely go with the one that "moves" you. It sounds silly but you will ride a bike that is attractive and that looks good standing still or flying.

=

This.

Think fit first. Buy from a bike shop who is willing to put you and your new bike on their trainer, watch you pedal and make adjustments to tweak your fit.

It's also a matter of which bike do you like best. The ones you mention all all decent choices.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Only thing I don’t like is the pressfit bottom bracket.I do most of my own bike maintenance, so I prefer threaded bottom brackets because I have the tools for them.
Many bikes now have press fit BBs. It's not really a big deal. If you want to use a Shimano crankset, it is easy enough to use a Praxis or Wheels Manufacturing adapter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Many bikes now have press fit BBs. It's not really a big deal. If you want to use a Shimano crankset, it is easy enough to use a Praxis or Wheels Manufacturing adapter.
A friend I ride with has a Giant and Cannondale with pressfit bottom brackets and he has no problems with them.

There are also bikes that use threaded bottom brackets and the pressfit conversions you mentioned.
I choose to vote with my wallet by buying bike frames with threaded bottom brackets because that’s what I prefer because I don’t own a headset press.I also feel threaded bottom brackets are easier to remove and replace and I like to keep things on my bikes simple.The less parts and complication, the less things to break.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
A friend I ride with has a Giant and Cannondale with pressfit bottom brackets and he has no problems with them.

There are also bikes that use threaded bottom brackets and the pressfit conversions you mentioned.
I choose to vote with my wallet by buying bike frames with threaded bottom brackets because that’s what I prefer because I don’t own a headset press.I also feel threaded bottom brackets are easier to remove and replace and I like to keep things on my bikes simple.The less parts and complication, the less things to break.
I agree. I also avoid ICR for similar reasons. And... the track record for OSBB's isn't stellar.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Buy the most expensive bike you can afford.
I agree with this.

I would go with a lesser component group for better wheels.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think all of his listed options are at least Shimano 105, so components aren't an issue.

As someone told me, test ride as many as you can and pick the one that makes you want to ride.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also new to the sport after making the switch from MTB. I went to my LBS and did a Guru fitting so I could test various geometries of several bikes I was considering. I ended up purchasing the Giant Defy Advanced 3. I'm a Clyde so they had to order the XL frame for me but it was worth the 3 week wait. That bike makes me want to ride every single day...and when I'm out with other riders I get compliments on the bike. It was the best decision I've made. I ride 120-150mi a week on the bike. The only things I've changed are the seat and the bar tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts