Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After playing around with the custom design thingie on oakley.com, I've come to the conclusion that I just want the plain matte black glasses with black and yellow lenses.

These are quite easy to find on ebay for around $160 (sometimes less) instead of the +$200 retail.

What do you guys think? Not worth the risk of reasonably safe if you buy from within the US?

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
are you asking if eBay is safe?

depends who you buy from.

I just scored some Rudy Projects for half of MSRP. they were at my house in 2 days.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well, the first problem is that you're buying Oakleys.

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
Read the seller feedback carefully.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andrew1 said:
Well, the first problem is that you're buying Oakleys.
I like the jawbones. I have a huge melon and they fit my face well, plus I like that they have plenty of different lenses.

Trust me, I tried dozens and dozens of frames when I needed to find new regular glasses before I could find anything that didn't look like crap...

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Coolhand said:
Read the seller feedback carefully.

+1 what Coolio said..... Pick a seller that deals primarily in Oakleys and read the feedback..... you'll be able to tell if they are selling authentic Oakleys

There used to be a seller based in San Diego called Oakley outlet... I've purchased from them in the past....great results...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Just do what I did...take your dog for a walk the day after a weekend of partying and events on a college campus. I almost stepped on some Radars on Monday when I did this. New pair of shades!

Jawbones are ugly. Don't do it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
What the other posters said - review feedback carefully, and do some research into the features of real oakleys vs. fake ones. In the case of Jawbones, serial numbers, metal "O" logos instead of molded plastic, and proper rubber ends on the arms are a pretty good indication that they're real.

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
roscoe said:
high chance of ending up with fauxkleys

not if you read the buyer reviews and purchase from vendor that primarily sells oakleys. you can fool some people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time says bob....

my jawbones are legit, although the first pair had a small scratch on lens. i sent them back no questions and got a new pair a week later..

my jawbones make me 1.2 mph faster which is cool.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys!

I guess if Oakley allows it and there's hundreds of positive feedback it should be okay.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
There are some sellers selling non-Oakley Jawbone lenses on eBay but I do not think there are any rip-off Jawbone frames on there just yet. With the Radar, there are definitely some rip-off versions on eBay and some of them look reasonably legit. If one looks closely it is usually easy to tell - the packaging material or logos look "off", or the nosepads are not removeable, or the glasses have a hanging tag attached to them, all signs of fake Oakley Radars.

One more thing, the suggestion about serial number (located on left arm) is a good thing for stock glasses but any coming out of Oakley's custom program do not have serial number printed on them.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Mine were fakes

I got two in the old days of eBay -- M-frames -- one was a real frame with a fake lens, and one was a knockoff entirely.

But, this was like seven years ago. The feedback system is much better now and I think the fakes are easier to spot.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well, I bought some RayBans for everyday while in Mexico from a vendor that said he had the real imitation ones, not the fake imitation ones like the other vendors. Made me laugh so hard I had to get them from him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts