Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.. I am new again to road bikes. been off for 4 years. used to ride 20/25 mile rides
on an old vintage Fuji S10S Special road racer. Question: Are the brands being sold
on the internet valid?? I am looking at two sites, one a major internet dealer and one an ebay dealer. I see brands such as Motobecane and Mercier.. but I see those brands no where else. I do not see LeMond, Trek, Cannondale , etc. My price range is in the $700 to $800 level. There seems to be good reviews on the sites for both the sellers and the bikes themselves.

Could someone advise me as to whether it is better buying from local LBS.

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
I would recommend working with a good, local bike shop. You may not know exactly what will fit, and they can help you. You may need help working on your bike, and they can help. You will need accessories, and they have those. You can get some good deals on the internet, but it is best to know exactly what you want first, and if you have been off bikes for four years, a shop can help.

If you do get an internet bike, there are better places to get them than from bikes direct. JensonUSA, Colorado Cyclist, and others have better bikes at similar prices, if you look.

Bikes Direct is the owner of several old, defunct brands. They buy bikes from Taiwanese factories with one of their brand names slapped on. The MSRP is bunk, because BD is the manufacturer, and almost the only outlet. Trek, Cannondale, and other first tier brands don't allow their bikes to be sold online, because they think the bike shops add value, they have agreements with distributes, and because they think they can make more money that way.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The BikesDirect brands (Motobecane, Mercier, Dawes, etc.) are mostly made by Kinesis...one of the top Taiwan builders. So while I agree that buying a bike from an LBS is best option...especially for someone who isn't sure what to buy...I disagree with the statement that buying a bike from JensonUSA or Colorado Cyclist is any better than BikesDirect. You still are getting almost no service and the LBS will shun you even if they carry the brand you purchased online (such as Bianchi and Jamis).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well went with LBS

Got confused online.. so did what was advised in this forum.. Went to LBS and bought a a bike that fit my riding style . No more , no less. A Bianchi Nirone 8 Special. Decided a few things..1) I didnt care about saving $100 to $200 on a bike on internet.. i rather get decent service, fit , invitation to ride, etc. 2) I really didn't have a clue as to what I was doing and needed real eye to eye advice. The owner is a very nice guy. i was willing to spend more but he said.. for the amount I was riding , this bike was best.. any more was overkill unless I really went crazy.
He will check and adjust bike for a year free.. and that in itself makes me feel it was worth the price. Thanks for input.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Good for you. It is always good to use your LBS as a resource. They will be there after the purchase. Hope you enjoy the ride and just to let you know it is customary to post pictures of ANY new bike purchase. It is the stuff we bike nerds love to see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.