Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is a little rant.....and a caution....

I just experienced my 4th in the last month, purchase of a 'like new', 'just taken off a bike', 'never ridden' road bike saddle sale that turned out to be ripped, torn, highly scuffed, and just the wrong description, as a buyer on E bay. :mad: Why is it that people either lie, or just don't know what they're doing? The best is the reverse guilt trip when you contact them, especially with pictures, that you get, 'well, in my opinion that is 'as new' condition', or some similar p.o.v. I even contacted the last guy and specifically asked about condition and it was 'no damages to the seat and in like new condition'..........
I didn't have this experience at all until I started buying different road bike saddles. (and one stem). I did a quick calculation and it now seems that 8.7% of my buys have been returned for bad product. The good news is that I've gotten all my money back. But this is a waste of time and is very detrimental to the Ebay experience. Oh well, feel better now. :D

·
What the Hell is going on
5,138 Posts
Same here

I had the same experience when buying a Selle San Marco Regal saddle. At the time I was still pretty new to eBay. The seller described the saddle as "used" and "worn" but when I receieved the saddle it looked like it just lost a fight with a belt sander. First of all I should of been suspicious about the fuzzy photo. Also, he had the saddle next to a white Regal (that wasn't for sale). When I contacted the seller saying he was a little misleading about his discription he emailed me back the dictionary definition of the word "worn". "At the very least, you could've described the saddle as very worn", I said but he felt justified. Afterwards it just because an argument of symantics.

Anyway, he must be a lawyer 'cause he could sleep well at night even though he plays with the truth.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
JaeP said:
I had the same experience when buying a Selle San Marco Regal saddle. At the time I was still pretty new to eBay. The seller described the saddle as "used" and "worn" but when I receieved the saddle it looked like it just lost a fight with a belt sander. First of all I should of been suspicious about the fuzzy photo. Also, he had the saddle next to a white Regal (that wasn't for sale). When I contacted the seller saying he was a little misleading about his discription he emailed me back the dictionary definition of the word "worn". "At the very least, you could've described the saddle as very worn", I said but he felt justified. Afterwards it just because an argument of symantics.

Anyway, he must be a lawyer 'cause he could sleep well at night even though he plays with the truth.

You gotta ask questions, specific ones, even if the description lists the condition. In the case of a leather saddle, something like "are there any rips, tears, scuffs or scratches?" Worn to some means worn out to others and used to some means used up to others. If you ask questions you can know better what you are bidding on, although it is up to the seller to answer honestly. Calling them out on misleading descriptions after the sale can help future buyers (if the seller has a conscience).

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
if you are ever not sure, ask for more pictures. If you don't get them, don't bid. I may be a little more eBay savvy due to some more experience, but more often than not I am pleasantly surprised by the condition of items being better than expected.

·
Registered
919 Posts
If you feel like you have been decieved, then I hope you have posted honest but negative feedback; that is what makes eBay work. Never bought a saddle, and I'm quite cautious, but have only had positive experiences with eBay

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Just kinda wondrin', but after the second or third bad saddle, why didn't you just stop ordering them from eBay in "worn" condition? With the time, money, and effort you've spent on those things, you could have purchased a new one in perfect shape.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
One...

GirchyGirchy said:
Just kinda wondrin', but after the second or third bad saddle, why didn't you just stop ordering them from eBay in "worn" condition? With the time, money, and effort you've spent on those things, you could have purchased a new one in perfect shape.
One acronym says it all for this one. LBS. As in, go to one. Buy your new saddle there. You actually get to see and touch the merchandise before you buy. I tend to buy "contact" items at the old LBS as much as possible. Meaning, saddles, bars, shoes, pedals.. That stuff is better bought in person, that way there is no guessing, and you know what you're getting.

That being said, when I do sell stuff on ebay, I take the best pictures that I can from every conceivable angle to show the condition of whatever it is I'm selling. I may be alone in this endevour, but I haven't had any complaints yet.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cheap shot.

JaeP said:

Cheap shot at lawyers. There are honest people in this world and there are dishonest people. No one profession has a monopoly on either kind.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
magnolialover said:
One acronym says it all for this one. LBS. As in, go to one.
Right - the only way to go for some of the things you mentioned. I've never ordered a pair of shoes or a saddle online...too much guesswork.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
my 'worn' saddle was just shipped today to me. It is a worn and torn SLR
but thats just what i wanted,

no one else bid on it :)

My plan is to hack the think to pieces... remove the leather (what remains)
cut out at the rear where material is excess.

make a center cutout for the soft tissue area.

can anyone say custom sub 100 gram saddle for less then 30$ :)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
There will always be sellers that stretch the truth, whether on ebay or else where. Ways to deal with it:

1. Buy saddles brand new in box with tag.
2. Lower your expectation and adjust your bid. If someone says it's a 9 out of a 10, I would just assume it's a 7 or 8. So if it is indeed a 9, I am pleasantly surprised.
3. Like others said, ask questions and for closeup pictures.
4. Use feedback. People who receive products in worse condition than described often fail to post negative feedback for fear of retaliation. So if someone has a 99% rating, but 1 or 2 buyers have complained about the condition, assume the seller will be aggressive in the description of condition. Also if you honestly think the buyer is a rip-off, say it in feedback.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
you can still find great deals on saddles on eBay. i just got a Selle italia signo for $43 in pretty good condition no scuffs or tears, lighter and wider than a flight. if it makes the trial period i might buy a new one for the $100+ tag and sell this one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GirchyGirchy said:
None of them were auctioned in a 'worn' condition. All were 'new' or 'take offs' or something to that effect. I've had very good experiences with all kinds of other parts, but for some reason, have hit a string of bad experiences with saddles. You're right, it is a lot of time spent doing this.......

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do.....

FatTireFred said:
You gotta ask questions, specific ones, even if the description lists the condition. In the case of a leather saddle, something like "are there any rips, tears, scuffs or scratches?" Worn to some means worn out to others and used to some means used up to others. If you ask questions you can know better what you are bidding on, although it is up to the seller to answer honestly. Calling them out on misleading descriptions after the sale can help future buyers (if the seller has a conscience).
I've been doing this now, but even in this case, it didn't work. Too bad, some people don't have a conscience I guess. In the good cases they answer and some even add more information and pictures. Those are the guys you want to buy from, not the ones with the comeback attitude in the ad's. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exactly

cmg said:
you can still find great deals on saddles on eBay. i just got a Selle italia signo for $43 in pretty good condition no scuffs or tears, lighter and wider than a flight. if it makes the trial period i might buy a new one for the $100+ tag and sell this one.
Good point. That's what many of us do. Get a honest seller with an accurate description and honest reply, get a good deal, try it and if it doesn't fit, sell it off, using an accurate description and pictures. I've gotten a few saddles now that way, since the 90's. ;)

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I am a newbie and have only ridden the saddles that have come with my bikes. The one that came with my Lemond is definitely too cushy and I really wanted to try some others out to see how the different geometries feel. I ran across this auction for 4 saddles and figured I get to try them all out and pick the one (or two) I like best. I haven't recieved them yet, but the pics look real good and the descriptions seem very honest.

After I pick the one or two that fit me best, you will see the rest back on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7221813594

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Right - the only way to go for some of the things you mentioned. I've never ordered a pair of shoes or a saddle online...too much guesswork.

I have, but only for the exact same models/yrs as previously owned, and never shoes/saddles/etc that I have never tried before. If you know exactly what you want or have tried the item before, you should be OK.

BTW, I don't know what the problem with pedals would be, even if you've never tried them... the specs are pretty standard within brands (Look, Time, Shimano, etc) and you can't always try them at a LBS first and then return 'em if you don't like 'em.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
FatTireFred said:
I have, but only for the exact same models/yrs as previously owned, and never shoes/saddles/etc that I have never tried before. If you know exactly what you want or have tried the item before, you should be OK. BTW, I don't know what the problem with pedals would be, even if you've never tried them... you can't always try them at a LBS first and then return 'em if you don't like 'em.

Judging by the number of "new take offs" and saddles that "just didn't feel right" for sale it is very hard to justify spending $100+ on a saddle that I haven't tried before. Ebay gives me the opportunity to try things out at a much lower premium with relatively low risk. I would rather risk a $10-$20 saddle not being in as good condition as expected vs. a brand new $120 saddle that doesn't fit right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts