Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Shimano Ultegra drivetrain (shifters and derrailures) is feeling a bit played out, not to mention banged up and ugly. They are 8 years old. Any cautions on buying used? Is it crazy? should I just bite the bullit and try and buy new?

I'm specifically looking at Record/Chorus and more likely SRAM Force. I'm making a couple of assumptions, that I'm happy for people to shoot down if I"m wrong:

1) I can cross fertilize manufacturers shifters with my ultegra brakes (they are just fine);

2) If I go with either SRAM or Campy, I'll have to also switch out my cassette and chain

3) With Campy/SRAM, I'll be able to keep my Ritchey Compact crank and my Mavic Open Pro wheelset with Powertap hub.

Thanks all for yer' input!!!!!

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
check the rings, pulley wheels, cassette wear. for unmounted shifters, not sure you could tell if they are "played out". however, if you go sram chances are good they are not since they've only been around a short time. if you go campy, you'll need to spend some time/effort/$ making that shimano wheel work

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sram and shimano can run together so will probably be your best option. Campy will end up costing you a lot more to set up. You will need to change your hubs as well as all your whole groupo as campy won't fit onto shimano

·
Oh hai there
1,118 Posts
If you want to go Campy without changing up everything.
-You can use the 'merican classic cassette
-Get a new hubshell from powertap.
-Use a Jtek Shiftmate

Yes your brakes play well with others and so does your crank. (n0t c0d3)

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
I ride both Ultegra and Chorus - love them both, they're just very different. IME, Campy is much easier to set up and a lot more forgiving in the rd adjustment. I do my own wrenching, but have sought help with my Shimano rd, only to have more senior wrenches point out that "finesse is often required" (Park Tools big blue book of cycling repair) when shifting 10 spd rears. In other words, sorry, B angle, h & l, cable tension, you had it as good as it gets.

My Chorus, OTOH, is almost difficult to adjust incorrectly. I can crank my barrels a half turn in either direction from perfect and only pick up the slightest difference in sound. Still shifts perfectly, just a little more sound. Def not smooth as butter, but a very mechanically positive CLICK - no question that thing is at the next detent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.