Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

861 - 880 of 1100 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Went in for the test ride yesterday, the bike was nice, but I have an issue with the tendon between my thumb and forefinger that the hood on the Sora shifter irritated. They made a few adjustments which made it better, but not good.

I decided (at the wife's urging no less) to go ahead and get the bike I originally wanted - a Fuji Roubaix 3.0 - it was the "Performance Exclusive" version so it came with Tiagra components, an Oval seat, and (I believe) Oval wheelset.

Test ride was smoothe and fun, handles well, and feels much more solid then the Scattante. I ended up short on time so I will go back for a fitting and to pick it up tonight. We already know I need the shorter stem, so they're swapping it out for a 90mm, and installing the pedals and computer today before I go back in.

Already having riding buddies set up for it's innaugural rides this weekend.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
Went in for the test ride yesterday, the bike was nice, but I have an issue with the tendon between my thumb and forefinger that the hood on the Sora shifter irritated. They made a few adjustments which made it better, but not good.

I decided (at the wife's urging no less) to go ahead and get the bike I originally wanted - a Fuji Roubaix 3.0 - it was the "Performance Exclusive" version so it came with Tiagra components, an Oval seat, and (I believe) Oval wheelset.

Test ride was smoothe and fun, handles well, and feels much more solid then the Scattante. I ended up short on time so I will go back for a fitting and to pick it up tonight. We already know I need the shorter stem, so they're swapping it out for a 90mm, and installing the pedals and computer today before I go back in.

Already having riding buddies set up for it's innaugural rides this weekend.
Congratulations. An uncomfortable bike is never a good buy. Enjoy.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Went in for the test ride yesterday, the bike was nice, but...
Congrats! I think your experience points up the importance of test rides.

Re: the Sora shifters, it's possible that an adjustment to the bar (tilt) and/ or shifter placement could have at least minimized your hand discomfort, but you also mention other areas of preference for the Fuji, so all's well that ends well (as they say). No denying it's a nice entry level bike.

If you're so inclined, post pics and riding impressions. And BTW, kudos to your wife for supporting you on this. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tell riders you know that you are looking to purchase a bike and tell them your intended budget and what you'll be using the bike for. I told a friend of mine I wanted to start building my first road bike and a few weeks later he found a great frame at a price I could afford so I picked it up. Since I am new to road biking, I don't have nearly the network that experienced riders have. Leverage friends who have the passion for riding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am looking at getting my first road bike soon. I was thinking about buy a frame and starting there. I know a weld shop that can weld aluminum very well. With that said i was think if i can find a really cheap frame that just has some minor damage and needs some welding that would be a good start?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I am looking at getting my first road bike soon. I was thinking about buy a frame and starting there. I know a weld shop that can weld aluminum very well. With that said i was think if i can find a really cheap frame that just has some minor damage and needs some welding that would be a good start?
Not trying to be snarky, but I don't think a frame that needs welding can be categorized as having some minor damage. I would consider that major damage, likely indicating a defect or crash, and probably needing alignment after the repairs were done.

Even if you could get through this part of the process inexpensively, building a bike 'frame up' is generally more expensive than buying a complete bike. Not dissimilar to cars, they're sometimes worth more in parts.

My advice would be to find a good, used bike, ideally at your LBS, because there you'll get some assistance on sizing/ fit and possibly a 30 day warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok so i have given up on the damaged frame now. I have found a Caad 9 with tiagra components. It was bought in 2009 and rode 4 times. How much should i pay something like that?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Ok so i have given up on the damaged frame now. I have found a Caad 9 with tiagra components. It was bought in 2009 and rode 4 times. How much should i pay something like that?
Ridden 4 times only tells part of the story. How the bike was stored, where (the environment) among other factors will play a part in determining value. And those values vary by region and supply/ demand.

Best (general) estimate I can offer is if the bike is in very good to excellent condition, somewhere between 50-60% of original price would be ballpark, or starting price.

Beyond that, when buying used from a private seller, make sure the bike fits well. If you're unsure, ask to bring it to a reputable LBS and have fit (along with mechanical condition) assessed. They may also be able to provide a value estimate as well.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on the 2013 felt z95?
Felt offers top quality bikes and a strong warranty. IMO, the Z series geo leans towards relaxed/ endurance (versus race), which offers slightly slower handling and a slightly more upright riding position - both good things to those new to road riding.

That said, make sure the bike suites your intended uses/ goals and the geo fits you well. A reputable shop will guide you in those decisions, so shop for shops along with bikes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This would be my first road bike. I am looking to get into the sport without breaking the bank, but also want to be able to keep the bike for a year or so before needing to upgrade.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This would be my first road bike. I am looking to get into the sport without breaking the bank, but also want to be able to keep the bike for a year or so before needing to upgrade. I also looked at specialized, but the store kept trying to upswell me outside of my budget. The LBS selling felt seemed more personable to me. Reading through this thread the store seems to be the deciding factor.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
This would be my first road bike. I am looking to get into the sport without breaking the bank, but also want to be able to keep the bike for a year or so before needing to upgrade. I also looked at specialized, but the store kept trying to upswell me outside of my budget. The LBS selling felt seemed more personable to me. Reading through this thread the store seems to be the deciding factor.
A reputable LBS makes a big difference in the buying process. If you feel comfortable with the Felt shop and they emphasize the importance of fit/ test rides, they're likely a fine choice.

Re: the Z95, as long as you're looking to do adult fitness road riding (basically, recreational riding), I think the bike suites your purpose. The new Sora shifters are an improvement over the previous model and I think as a package, the Z95 is fully capable of growing with you. You can easily get a couple (plus) years out of it before needing to upgrade. Wanting to, that's another story. :wink5:

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
is sora better then tiagra ?
When setup and tuned correctly, both will meet most recreational rides needs, but as model lines go, Tiagra is one up from Sora. Also, currently, Sora is 9 speed and Tiagra, 10.

Both have recently seen improvements, but IMO/E Tiagra is now on a par with the previous gen 105 (5600), which was (and is) a great groupset.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you lose anything going for a womens bike over a gender neutral bike?

I am wanting to get into road cycling, mostly for recreation with a century in the future and maybe a sprint triathlon. First off I wanted to say thank you to all the people posting on these forums, I have learned a lot. I do have one question though. I have decided on the cannondale synapse with the 105 groupset. The LBS says that I will fit on both the 56 cm gender neutral and the 56cm womens bike. I like the womens colors better, so my question is, do I lose anything as far as power, handling, features etc by going with the womens bike over the gender neutral?

Thank you for any advice.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I am wanting to get into road cycling, mostly for recreation with a century in the future and maybe a sprint triathlon. First off I wanted to say thank you to all the people posting on these forums, I have learned a lot. I do have one question though. I have decided on the cannondale synapse with the 105 groupset. The LBS says that I will fit on both the 56 cm gender neutral and the 56cm womens bike. I like the womens colors better, so my question is, do I lose anything as far as power, handling, features etc by going with the womens bike over the gender neutral?

Thank you for any advice.
As long as both bikes fit you the same, you'll lose nothing. That said, because most WSD bikes have shorter reach and a more upright riding position, odds are the standard and WSD geometry won't fit you exactly the same, at least not 'out of the box'. Check the geo of both 56's and you'll see that reach is less and stack, more on the WSD model.

My advice is to have the LBS dial in your fit on both, ride them back to back, then decide which feels best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As long as both bikes fit you the same, you'll lose nothing. That said, because most WSD bikes have shorter reach and a more upright riding position, odds are the standard and WSD geometry won't fit you exactly the same, at least not 'out of the box'. Check the geo of both 56's and you'll see that reach is less and stack, more on the WSD model.

My advice is to have the LBS dial in your fit on both, ride them back to back, then decide which feels best.
Thank you, I will ask them to set them both up for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time buyer

Hey there,

I've been an avid mountain biker for a long time but recently found myself wanting to try my hand on the road. Only problem being I have no idea what I should be looking for in my first road bike. Preferably something that is durable and good at attacking inclines due to the nature of my surroundings in England. Budget being around £500-£600. I feel I ought to go into the LBS with some knowledge of what I'm looking for instead of blindly following what a seller is trying to sell me.

861 - 880 of 1100 Posts