Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a Fuji Newest 2.0 road bike (aluminum frame, carbon front fork). Last week I started noticing a sporadically occurring, loud buzzing noise while riding (accompanied by a perceptible vibration), and I can't figure out what is causing it. I swapped both my wheels and the noise persisted. So it's not the wheels. The vibration usually occurs when I am coasting (not pedaling) at about 14 to 24 mph. In fact, pedaling makes the vibration stop. I inspected the bike and there is nothing stuck to the bike (causing the vibration). I am going to take it to my LBS this week and have them look at it. I am concerned that it could be a cracked fork or frame and the vibration might be occurring when the frame is in resonance with the road.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
My Di2 shifters rattle on rough roads. I tried to get them to stop but usually just use ear buds mostly now.
Cables not tied together can hit each other.

·
Registered
27,422 Posts
I ride a Fuji Newest 2.0 road bike (aluminum frame, carbon front fork). Last week I started noticing a sporadically occurring, loud buzzing noise while riding (accompanied by a perceptible vibration), and I can't figure out what is causing it. I swapped both my wheels and the noise persisted. So it's not the wheels. The vibration usually occurs when I am coasting (not pedaling) at about 14 to 24 mph. In fact, pedaling makes the vibration stop. I inspected the bike and there is nothing stuck to the bike (causing the vibration). I am going to take it to my LBS this week and have them look at it. I am concerned that it could be a cracked fork or frame and the vibration might be occurring when the frame is in resonance with the road.

Thanks in advance.
Aha, it stops when you pedal? :idea: Major clue of drive train problems. Check chain ring bolts, crank bolts, derailleur hanger bolts. Does it buzz when not pedaling in all gears? Front derailleur cage clearing the chain? If it goes away under power, it would have to be something "loose" somewhere, right, probably in the drive train? I guess badly adjusted headsets could buzz when coasting if sitting up, but you could feel it in your hands.

·
Registered
726 Posts
How much air pressure and what size tires are you using? I am now riding a bike with 28cc and 80lb tires, it rides like silk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fredrico, I think you may be right regarding drive train problems. I'm going for a ride tomorrow night and I'm going to focus on looking to see if the chain is vibrating. Regardless, I'm taking the bike to my LBS to have them check it out. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
787 Posts
23cc tires with 90 psi.
:eek:

eeee, gads......a Luddite!

Seriously, hope you get it found.

I've never owned a road bike that didn't have that mysterious Universe harmonious buzz----but it's always in one certain gear combo only and at a certain crank spinning rpm, both different for every bike I've owned over the past 3 decades.

I've just accepted it's the 6th dimension I've tapped into :D

·
Registered
27,422 Posts
:eek:

eeee, gads......a Luddite!

Seriously, hope you get it found.

I've never owned a road bike that didn't have that mysterious Universe harmonious buzz----but it's always in one certain gear combo only and at a certain crank spinning rpm, both different for every bike I've owned over the past 3 decades.

I've just accepted it's the 6th dimension I've tapped into :D
Another Luddite running 90 psi in 25mm tires. That's from getting pinch flats in the urban jungle of DC with 23mm tires before I wised up. You guys are getting me to go with 85 psi in the 28mm commuter tires. To me, anything less feels slower even if it isn't. When the tire hits something I feel like i'm getting a flat! Its all about road feel. I like the feeling of being connected to the road others most probably get riding on softer tires. The steel frame and fork absorbs the shocks just fine.

The original Cannondales brought up the issue of "resonant buzz" due to the large diameter tubes. Nobody complained about steel buzzing like that. Cannondales went with a steel fork for a few years before they could design a reliable aluminum fork, and later got carbon forks dialed in.

If the buzz is from internal cables sitting inside the frame, it wouldn't go away when pedaling under power, would it?

Hey, I'd be interested in the bikes you rode that buzzed, Belgianhammer. What brands and what materials were the frames made of? Did you figure out what was doing it?

·
Registered
20,012 Posts
What are 23cc tires?

I thought is was millimeter or mm?
It's 23c (CC's are cubic centimeters). And the "C" isn't a measurement. It's an [outdated] code.

Tire Sizing Systems
French sizes:
In the French system, the first number is the nominal outside diameter in mm, followed by a letter code for the width: "A" is narrow, "D" is wide. The letter codes no longer correspond to the tire width, since narrow tires are often made for rim sizes that originally took wide tires; for example, 700 C was originally a wide size, but now is available in very narrow widths, with actual outside diameters as small as 660 mm.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hey, I'd be interested in the bikes you rode that buzzed, Belgianhammer. What brands and what materials were the frames made of? Did you figure out what was doing it?
For steel bikes, it was too many to count. My all time (and still current) fav, a 1994 Colnago Techno Competition steelie, is no different. For Alu, currently they are Cannondales, Ridley and just recently Trek's 300. For ti, they basically all are 3Al/2.5V tubing.

Always only happens under load, usually in the front small ring of 36 or 39T, and the rear cogs (all Shimano, 10-spd now, either 12-25 and/or 12-28 cassettes) and being in either the 14T through the 19T cog. Each bike is different, in the sense it is not the same cog.

Also, always happens at fairly high cadences (nothing below 90). Tried different cleat and pedal systems, still occurred.

I've just accepted it all these years when it comes up through the various bikes, some built with Shimano Ultegra, others with 105, and one with new 10-spd Tiagra (which is a surprisingly good gruppo). Wheels & hubs are many different kinds, from Shimano Ultegras, to 105s, to Brandon's stuff at BikeHubStore and also John Nugent's wheels/hubs. Rims are either H Plus Sons, TLRs, and/or Mavic.

Once I hit that harmonic resonance on whatever bike I am on, I sort of smile as it comes up through the bike, into my hands, and finally my eyeballs, lol. I imagine entering the 6th dimension at that second---until either the wind blows, or the road rises (or falls), and I cough up a lung & have to slow down. For me, it's part of the mystery that is road cycling (another great one is how is it possible the wind is in my face the WHOLE ride when I've done a big 360 degree loop---something weird is going on those days) :aureola:

·
Registered
27,422 Posts
Oh, ok. I know what you're talking about. :D.

Yes, once in a while, under power, the bike resonates at a certain frequency around a middle C or like the Star Trek music. At first I thought it was worn chain hitting the cogs off parallel. Once in a while the 74.5 deg. steering tube, steep seat post angle, and long top tube, made the bike wobble waiting for a light, but at speed, the two SL and SLX bikes have ridden buzz free. I'm always amazed the same bike that wobbled so easily doing a track stand would track so well down a mountain at 45 mph. I deduced it was all in the lugs. :D. And heck a club mate's Kestrel monocoque frame sung like a baby. We'd joke about it. He was a heavy guy.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
My Di2 shifters rattle on rough roads. I tried to get them to stop but usually just use ear buds mostly now.
Cables not tied together can hit each other.
Your shifters have a screw loose that you will see by pulling the hood back at the top. The screw will be laying in the recess waiting to be reinstalled. It will, of course come loose again (and rattle) if you don't use some locktite

·
Banned
7,744 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Deleted

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever solve this problem? I have been experiencing the same for quite a while - my tolerance is quite high for annoying noises. I thought finding the cause would be simple. At first I thought it was my bottom bracket vibrating in the frame from coasting at high speed. I was expecting to find a lot of wear at the bearing seat and there was none. The bearings were in good shape and none were missing. When pedaling the noise would end and a small amount of torque to the pedals would be enough, so I doubt it was a cracked or weakened frame. Next suspect was the rear cassette, but it appears that's not the problem either. I don't see how the cassette can induce such a strong vibration into the frame even if the bearings were completely shot. Maybe the frame is acting like a guitar and the resonance is amplified north of the bottom bracket... What was the cause of your problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever solve this problem? I have been experiencing the same for quite a while - my tolerance is quite high for annoying noises. I thought finding the cause would be simple. At first I thought it was my bottom bracket vibrating in the frame from coasting at high speed. I was expecting to find a lot of wear at the bearing seat and there was none. The bearings were in good shape and none were missing. When pedaling the noise would end and a small amount of torque to the pedals would be enough, so I doubt it was a cracked or weakened frame. Next suspect was the rear cassette, but it appears that's not the problem either. I don't see how the cassette can induce such a strong vibration into the frame even if the bearings were completely shot. Maybe the frame is acting like a guitar and the resonance is amplified north of the bottom bracket... What was the cause of your problem?
Just recently bought a 2001 cannondale (caad3 aluminum frame with steel forks) that has become my daily rider and after about a month of riding, this exact scenario has become a regular thing. I thought I had picked up some debris the first time I heard it, it was so loud and sudden. Since then, I've found pedaling even the slightest bit keeps it from happening. I spent some time at the shop searching for a cause to throw money at, but I was unable to duplicate the sound with the bike on the stand. If you found something that works I'd be interested in a solution as well!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can’t take a picture (LOL)but you may need your LBS to actually HEAR this. Or have someone other than you HEAR this.

Totally grasping at straws ideas: Nothing stuck to bike. Got anything like a bike computer attached? Water bottle atachment?
I have had buzzing from spokes in the past.

Does the buzzing happen on all surfaces you ride on? Interlace something thru the spokes and ride it that way to see if it is spokes. Be careful with this.

Happening at 14-24, coasting. I am thinking resonance. Maybe tires themselves on the road surface.

Grasping at straws x10th power: wind resistance-odd idea, but have you tried different shoes?

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts