Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend, two friends and I rode an organized century between Buena Vista and Leadville, Colorado. For once, I decided to bring along a camera. Many of the shots were taken on-the-fly.

The ride had perfect weather and 1k feet less climbing than years past. The usual route circles Turquoise Lake but there was too much snow this season to get cleared in time for the ride. Instead, we rode up to Tennessee Pass and back down. One of my friends, the asthmatic, for some reason had trouble breathing at 10,600ft so we cut the ride short. However, since we rode from our rental to the start line, we still got in 99 miles.

Just starting out - my buddy B-Money (actually found $10 on during the ride)

Small climb - we're heading towards those mountains in the distance

Mt. Elbert - highest point in Colorado

I see neither this day

Lunch is that way...

But not before climbing Tennessee Pass

· Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
At the top of Tennessee Pass there is a monument to the Army's 10th Mountain Division

There's also a ski resort named after one of our own.

After the pass, we were treated to this crappy view at lunch

Post-lunch we headed up to the Mineral Belt Trail through a former super fund cleanup site. This small area has a lot of Colorado's history. Still a lot of snow as they were plowing 7" of new powder from a couple of days prior.

An old sluice

The economy is hitting everyone hard

From there it was all downhill...with a tailwind. We covered the last 35 miles in about an hour and this is the only shot I managed to get.

· Non non normal
10,183 Posts
I am glad you took the camera along. It is weird seeing snow pics this time of year.

· Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've lived here 11 years and I've seen it snow every month of the year except July and August. It's usually August-September before the highest peaks clear off enough to hike without snowshoes.

· Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HokieRider said:
we stayed at a b&b on mt. elbert last summer. i was totally digging that part of CO. good stuff.
Did you do any riding around Leadville or we you staying there on the way somewhere else?

· Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Bulldozer said:
Did you do any riding around Leadville or we you staying there on the way somewhere else?
No riding. :( We did a big circle all the way around the state basically. Hiked up to Independence Lake, did Aspen, Leadville, Gunnison, Fort Collins, Durango, Pagosa Springs....you name it. We had a good time, but I don't think my parents will be itching to go back any time soon. They had a real problem with the sharp dropoff on the side of many roads. The hubby and I loved it.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Wow, I love high country shots. Just something awesome about riding roads where the snow is still present. My grandfather was 10th Mountain in WWII until he got blown up by a mortar. He survived it, but got sent home with no ear drums, shrapnel, and a bad attitude.

· Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HokieRider said:
No riding. :( We did a big circle all the way around the state basically. Hiked up to Independence Lake, did Aspen, Leadville, Gunnison, Fort Collins, Durango, Pagosa Springs....you name it. We had a good time, but I don't think my parents will be itching to go back any time soon. They had a real problem with the sharp dropoff on the side of many roads. The hubby and I loved it.
Is that how you got your stash of Fat Tire? The offer of beer still stands.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.