Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Kind of a newbie question here, hope somebody can help here.

Trying to find an allround wheelset for my 9 speed and have tried to narrow it down to the 2 from bicycle warehouse.
I am on the lighter side so both wheelset seems to be good. Mainly plan to use this for training and some hill climbing.

The 2 wheelsets are pure race (race superlight) and the blackset race classic . Any recommendations between the two wheelsets.

I am trying to keep it within 250-260$ .

Thanks for all the help in advance

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,445 Posts
I've had both of these. You can't go wrong with either. Their specs are almost identical. I think the Pure rim is a little deeper.

Don't forget the coupons
Who makes their Pure hubs?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,445 Posts
I don't know. They're re-brands of something. I think Mike T. knew, if you search through old posts of his you might find something.
He emailed me service instructions on them a few years ago. They're the same instructions for BWW and BHS hubs. But it doesn't say brand or model.
Do they say Pure on them or are they unlabelled? I got some Bitex hubs and they are unlabelled.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have seen BWW’s wheels mentioned often here. Do they offer anything good for tubular with rim brake and alloy?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I don't know. They're re-brands of something. I think Mike T. knew, if you search through old posts of his you might find something.
He emailed me service instructions on them a few years ago. They're the same instructions for BWW and BHS hubs. But it doesn't say brand or model.
I have a conversation with Mike T. from years ago where he mentioned that he didn’t know and didn’t care who made them. He did seem duly impressed by them though from a price to value ratio. Perhaps he eventually found out but I cannot say as I’ve been gone for quite a few years and am making my way back because I’m considering a BWW purchase since I cannot seem to source a pair of Shimano WS-RS700 wheelset anywhere at a good price.

BTW, Is Mike T. still around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
I had a set of blackset race many many years ago. They were great for a basic road bike training wheelsets. Seemed very strong, and never needed adjustment

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
BTW, Is Mike T. still around?
He hasn't been around in a long time. Hasn't posted anything in a few years.

His website is gone too. http://miketechinfo.com

You can still find it on the waybackmachine web.archive.org/web/20180410132034/http://miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm

·
Registered
942 Posts
Who makes their Pure hubs?
Formula - says me, hah hah. Been a while since visiting here.
Pretty sure the formula RB-68 and RL-241 are close to exactly what they sent me on my Pure Race Wheels. I suspect they get better grade bearings in them, as mine haven't needed service in 8 years. I don't ride regularly in the rain though.
They are decent hubs. I take the freehub apart and clean / lube it when it gets noisy, and it stays fairly quiet. Maybe every 5-8K miles. More quiet the White Industries hub, but not as silent as the ultegra Shimano hubs.
My BWW Pure Race wheels have way over 20K miles and no problems wheels or hubs. Not even a minor truing needed. Pretty amazing wheels for the $. Best of all - easy peasy to change tires. Somewhat aero as well. Not wide like modern rims though.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,445 Posts
Formula - says me, hah hah. Been a while since visiting here.
Pretty sure the formula RB-68 and RL-241 are close to exactly what they sent me on my Pure Race Wheels. I suspect they get better grade bearings in them, as mine haven't needed service in 8 years. I don't ride regularly in the rain though.
They are decent hubs. I take the freehub apart and clean / lube it when it gets noisy, and it stays fairly quiet. Maybe every 5-8K miles. More quiet the White Industries hub, but not as silent as the ultegra Shimano hubs.
My BWW Pure Race wheels have way over 20K miles and no problems wheels or hubs. Not even a minor truing needed. Pretty amazing wheels for the $. Best of all - easy peasy to change tires. Somewhat aero as well. Not wide like modern rims though.
My gravel bike came with Formula hubs. To me they were just as quiet as Shimano hubs. White Industries hubs are LOUD!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Is Bicycle Wheel Warehouse still selling wheelset? Their website seems operable but they haven’t answered my inquiry from last week so I tried them again today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
They've historically been known to be slow in responding. And with the current cycling economy they may be really swamped and backlogged.
Well, I went ahead and ordered a set of wheels last Friday (10/01/2021). With any luck I will not have any problems, will keep everyone updated...

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I have several sets of their wheels road and mountain and they have served me well over the years. I may get another set in the spring for rim road wheels. They are very hard to beat for the price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts