Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder what my watts are:

On 3 1/2" aluminum rollers riding in the 53/12 at approximately 100 rpm and 35 mph for 3 x 10 minutes with 4 minutes rest and 3 work intervals I consistently maintained the above speed during the test at 88-90% of my 192 bpm maximum heart rate (recorded in max. test) and my age is 48 y.o.

I can TT pretty comfortably at this level, the rollers at this speed are something new.

Can anyone estimate my watts?

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Nearly impossible, I would think. The resistance of rollers at "speed" is solely a product of friction, and the wind resistance of your wheelset; how much depends upon tyre pressure, bearing quality, etc, etc, etc. Without a resistance unit, it's silly easy to spin out ANY gear on a roller; they just don't fight you.

When you TT "at this level," how fast do you go?

In my area, several facilities are equipped with "computrainers" (or similar) -- resistance-based stationary trainers that do a decent job of estimating watts. Perhaps you could track down one of those for a session...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"...it's silly easy to spin out ANY gear on a roller; they just don't fight you."

Are you sure?

How then does one explain the threshold heart rate? The rollers aren't like climbing a grade, they're more like a flat course with no wind resistance. Which explains the 35 mph.

BTW, my TT's average around 27-28 mph if the course is flat and not windy.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Argentius said:
Without a resistance unit, it's silly easy to spin out ANY gear on a roller; they just don't fight you.
Maybe it's the quality of my PVC rollers, but I can exceed 300 W on mine without being in my largest gear. I've never bothered to check what the highest power I could ride at is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.