Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Banned
42 Posts
I said it before

Let him in as an independant. The last stage of the 2005 tour, he showed he could beat the whole Gerolsteiner squad with no help from his own teamates. Find some local yocals willing to pack up their Renault and call it a team car and he is golden.

I bet if they let him, he would still pull a top 10.

G

·
Yes, they are still waiting.

"Today, we're still waiting on the [UCI Pro Tour's] licensing commission, knowing full well that the owner of the team remains Manolo Saiz," Prudhomme told French newspaper L'Equipe which is owned by the Tour's parent company A.S.O.
But his other comments are rather ominous:

So if that eventually means expelling more teams and starting the Tour with 15 or 16 squads, Prudhomme insists that there will be no replacements:
"That won't be the case, but the number of teams at the start is not a problem for us," said the Frenchman.
"Be there 150 or 200 riders in no way taints the prestige of the Tour. The peloton will always be the peloton and there will always be escapes and heroes.
"We were 22 yesterday, we're 21 today. And we'll be what we need to be to take the start," he said.
Asked if the affair was taking its toll on the Tour, Prudhomme said no:
"The Tour is fine. The danger is for cycling."

· Registered
6,422 Posts
Well...

Bad Link said:
Let him in as an independant. The last stage of the 2005 tour, he showed he could beat the whole Gerolsteiner squad with no help from his own teamates. Find some local yocals willing to pack up their Renault and call it a team car and he is golden.

As others have said before, cycling is a team sport. Vino riding alone would get shelled, and make no difference as a whole in the Tour de France, and aside from that, you need a team to get into the race. The whole letting him in as an independent is rather silly...

His team gets shut out of the Tour, his only chance is if he has an escape clause in his contract, that lets him cancel out his contract, and then sign for another team, and let's face it, there are enough teams out there that would pick him up in a second, of course, he'd have to take a large pay cut, but he might still be able to get into the race, if his team gets left out, and he has some sort of clause in his contract. Him riding alone, that's just plain old crazy talk right there, and will never happen. Never.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
I'd be surprised if Wurth gets the boot.

The UCI will like the money that Astana brings in. I suspect they will just want Saiz to get out of the team completely (he is the majority holder in the parent company), and that will be the compromise.

Plus Spain will drag it's feet in the investigation. It's one thing to bust some doping cyclists, it's another to involve some of your footballers when the world cup is going on.

· Registered
55 Posts
Bad Link said:

uh huh - who's gona do his laundry? massage? cook? prep his bike? get his bottles? food? etc?

· Banned
42 Posts
magnolialover said:
As others have said before, cycling is a team sport. Vino riding alone would get shelled, and make no difference as a whole in the Tour de France, and aside from that, you need a team to get into the race. The whole letting him in as an independent is rather silly...

His team gets shut out of the Tour, his only chance is if he has an escape clause in his contract, that lets him cancel out his contract, and then sign for another team, and let's face it, there are enough teams out there that would pick him up in a second, of course, he'd have to take a large pay cut, but he might still be able to get into the race, if his team gets left out, and he has some sort of clause in his contract. Him riding alone, that's just plain old crazy talk right there, and will never happen. Never.
That puts it to rest. I am glad Vino's agent gave me a lesson in contract law 101.

· It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
He can't

magnolialover said:

Kazakland put major money into the Wuth team because he is a homeboy and he won't bail out on his country's cycling team.

· Daylight Fading
1,903 Posts
Dwayne

Dwayne Barry said:
I'd be surprised if Wurth gets the boot.

The UCI will like the money that Astana brings in. I suspect they will just want Saiz to get out of the team completely (he is the majority holder in the parent company), and that will be the compromise.

Plus Spain will drag it's feet in the investigation. It's one thing to bust some doping cyclists, it's another to involve some of your footballers when the world cup is going on.
I'm not so sure about your first statement there. I seem to recall last year that there were several riders, just prior to the TdF (Pavel Padrnos) that were almost excluded by the Tour organizers because they were "under investigation." I don't have the facts handy, but it seemed like the organizers were really trying to crack down on known or suspected dopers. I have not heard any of that talk this year, but I would suspect that Wurth is screwed. Anything to bring in another useless French domestic team.....

BT

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.