Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm a new guy here and just wondering, does anyone make something like canondale's lefty but for road purposes?

If they don't make, it why not? seems like changing the tires/tubes would be nice and quick

Also i hear the way the hub is setup on the offroad lefty makes it stiffer/stronger?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm good point, i forgot mtn bike's are all disc brakes now..

besides this *small* detail ;-) anything else holding it back?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
It only take about 10 seconds to get a front wheel off with a regular fork so your point about making it easy to change a tire/tube is n/a. (changing it on the bike would not save time)

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
The closest thing to it is the fork on the Cdale bad boy solo. It's more like an asymmetrical headshok than a lefty though... But the main drawbacks for road usage would be disc brakes and that it would have to be very heavy in order to be strong enough. Not to mention that you'd have to built your own wheels using a Lefty specific hub.

http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaen...BAD-BOY/Bad-Boy/Details/1313-0BS-Bad-Boy-Solo

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,446 Posts
if the lefty was that much better than everything else out there, lots more people would use it. i'm sure cannondale would love to take some hefty license fees from other manufacturers and then brag about how lots of other companies figured out that the lefty design was the best. but...this has yet to happen, sooooooo...

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
cxwrench said:
if the lefty was that much better than everything else out there, lots more people would use it. i'm sure cannondale would love to take some hefty license fees from other manufacturers and then brag about how lots of other companies figured out that the lefty design was the best. but...this has yet to happen, sooooooo...

There is an adapter now avail to fit a Lefty fork on a non-Lefty specific bike. So we will see if this takes off or not. I personally think the Lefty fork looks weird, but those who ride one absolutely love them.

http://www.project321.com/bikeleftybonded.php

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
cxwrench said:
Yeah, just like how Cannondale invented BB30 and is totally now raking in the dough for hefty license fees. They chose to make it a standard and aren't bragging about coming up with it first :rolleyes:

If riding without brakes and a freehub were that much better than everything else out there, lots more people would do it.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
frdfandc said:
There is an adapter now avail to fit a Lefty fork on a non-Lefty specific bike. So we will see if this takes off or not. I personally think the Lefty fork looks weird, but those who ride one absolutely love them.

http://www.project321.com/bikeleftybonded.php
Yep, that would be me, Lefty fan boy..............

I can suffer on a std fork on the dirt, but don't like to.

As for the road, I don't see the point really. The Lefty has great torsion resistance in roots and rocks. That's where it shines. I don't have my road bike going through the rocks too often :D It does look a little different and you get the stupid, "Hey, Where's the other half of your fork?" questions. However, if I couldn't ride a cdale or there was just some killer FS frame out there, I'd just put a Lefty on that.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
skaruda_23 said:
Yeah, just like how Cannondale invented BB30 and is totally now raking in the dough for hefty license fees. They chose to make it a standard and aren't bragging about coming up with it first :rolleyes:
:thumbsup: for Cdale not making it some "licensed" thing. (If Specialized could have bought it off Cdale, they would have licensed it")

Cdale makes their $$$ of that Hologram SL BB30 crankset big $$$, but light and stiff. I wish I could afford one.:cryin: I've road a bike with one and one without, you can tell.

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
ziscwg said:
Yep, that would be me, Lefty fan boy..............

I can suffer on a std fork on the dirt, but don't like to.

As for the road, I don't see the point really. The Lefty has great torsion resistance in roots and rocks. That's where it shines. I don't have my road bike going through the rocks too often :D It does look a little different and you get the stupid, "Hey, Where's the other half of your fork?" questions. However, if I couldn't ride a cdale or there was just some killer FS frame out there, I'd just put a Lefty on that.
I'm with you on this one, ziscwg.

I get the "hey, half your fork's missing" comment all the time when I ride my MTB. I feel like responding by asking, "hey half your brain's missing!" But I just keep my mouth shut. You really do notice the torsional stiffness and smoothness of the needle bearings on the Lefty, but I think a conventional headshok is probably more suited to the road if you really want suspension.

I wish I could afford a hollowgram too...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts