Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up to mid-Atlantic riders, there's a show on Maryland Public Television this evening about riding the C&O canal. Info here: http://www.mpt.org/schedule/series.cfm?series_id=15166#152096

Haven't seen it, not endorsing it, but I'll definitely watch it cuz I've been thinking of riding the canal this fall.

I'd be interested in everyone's response tomorrow, or earlier if they've seen this show elsewhere already.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Thanks...

....for the heads up. I'll have to see if I can get that old VCR working right. A program like this makes me think I should look at getting TiVo.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Thank you. I wish I had seen this earlier, thanks so much! I am taping now. I am riding this the first week of August.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Review...

Kind of a goofy travelogue, but still enjoyable. Correspondent/rider appeared to have tremendous weather and rode in early autumn.

Definitely want to do it myself now and I hope zeytin will give us a post-ride report in August once he recovers from the heat stroke.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Wonger said:
Kind of a goofy travelogue, but still enjoyable. Correspondent/rider appeared to have tremendous weather and rode in early autumn.

Definitely want to do it myself now and I hope zeytin will give us a post-ride report in August once he recovers from the heat stroke.
I did it in August last year and posted report. Not hot on the trail...beautiful. We had to even wear wind-breakers in the mornings. You would be amazed how temperatures drop once you get away from the paved world.
If you search C&T forum for C&O one of the links will be my post ride report.

Cheers,
PS I'm a chica!:thumbsup:

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Did I miss something, cause I didn't see it on last night?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
bigrider said:
Did I miss something, cause I didn't see it on last night?
Yes, I think it would be worthwhile to search out the program. As wonger wrote, John Urman displays a bit of goofy, Bill-Nye-The-Science-Guy type humor. At the end of the 30 minute program he says we've ridden the towpath at 369 mph (184.5 miles in only 30 minutes), but it's enjoyable. A nice bit of historical photos and film. It was fun seeing some of the places I've been and he had some points of interest I've missed in my 4 towpath rides.

BTW wonger, bring a good light. John's video camera light prevented us from seeing just how dark the Paw Paw tunnel actually is. Without 10-15 watts you are virtually blind through most of it. There is a trail up over the top, which can be fun to do if riding through the tunnel gets old on your 2nd, 3rd or 4th towpath rides.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
From http://www.candocanal.org/NPS.html

01 Jun 06

A Homespun C&O Guide Grows Wings

What began as a personal chronicle of Arlington, Va. resident John Urman¹s bike trip along the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal towpath evolved into an acclaimed 30-minute travelogue/documentary. Thus far, "On The Canal" has appeared on seven cable access channels from Virginia to Washington County, Md. The program will be broadcast on Maryland Public Television on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 at 10 p.m.

Originally intended as a gift for family and friends, the video blossomed into a more in-depth overview of the Canal¹s history. It is a charming look at some of the unique and sometimes quirky places and friendly faces encountered along the 184.5 mile-long towpath. An avid cyclist and fan of the C&O Canal, John did most of the camerawork, editing and narrating himself, assisted by brother Tom Urman, while friend Brad Ulery lent equipment and advice.

While the first 22 miles of the C&O Canal National Historical Park experiences the greatest visitation, John found the entire park friendly, accessible and richly steeped in a history that touches four centuries. National Park Service Ranger Rita Knox, in Cumberland, Md. says, "Mr. Urman¹s enthusiasm and love for the C&O Canal towpath shines through in this interesting cyclist¹s journal of his towpath travels."

Arlington Independent Media Operations Manager Jackie Steven notes, "AIM has been pleased to show "On The Canal," and has received positive feedback from our viewers. John¹s entertaining video will now give MPT viewers an excellent opportunity to learn more about their C&O."

Recently, "On The Canal" won the Documentary Profile category in the 2006 Hometown Video Festival. This contest featured nearly 1400 entries from community access channel producers around the Nation. In addition, The Videographer Awards, an international video competition, gave "On The Canal" an Award of Distinction bestowed upon projects that clearly exceeded industry standards.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And thanks KWL, I will bring a light.

I walked the top 35 miles or so a couple years ago, including the tunnel, and was impressed by the tunnel's scale. Still, it probably shouldn't have taken 16 years to build...

Four times eh? Were they different experiences? Or just the same excellent one that you wanted to repeat?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.