Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a novice at doing my own work, but I'm trying to convert my old Masi Gran Corsa w/ Campy 10 speed.

I had been using it as a fixed gear and was using a C-record bb and crankset with just one of the rings... and now I want to go to modern 10 speed, which in my case is the early Campy 10 speed I already have... I just took off the C-record cranks and put on the square taper Record 10 alloy cranks, they fit perfect.... Also the rear spacing is 126 but I can fit 130 wheels into the dropouts. I'm trying to set up the rear derailluer but can't get it to shift into the last cog... in fact the the shifting is horrible in the last 3 cogs.. the rest seems perfect.

Now this could just be my inexperience in setting up a rear deraillur but I started thinking if the chain line might be messed up from using the C-record BB? I'll probably have to take it to a shop as I have never set up a rear derailluer... but wanted to see if it was maybe the BB or the spacing, even though the 130 wheel fits fine? I did start with a new chain and I don't think the cassette is worn?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't think the BB is causing the issues with your shifting. I have one of the old Calfee frames that uses an Italian thread BB and there were issues about the chainrings rubbing the chainstays. So to solve this I decided to use a Campy Record pista 111mm BB with my 10sp carbon Record cranks and my shifting is fine.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
the casette and shifters match, right? fyi, old campy BBs are 111, newer record/chorus square taper are 102

·
Registered
216 Posts
Is your limit screw on the derailleur turned all the way out?

Also, its possible that by spreading the stays to 130 the derailleur hanger is slightly off center. It might be a good idea to take the frame to a bike shop to cold set the stays and align the hanger for 130mm.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys... I figured it was me not knowing how to adjust the derailluer, which is good news since I really like how that C-record BB looks.. Yes, the casette and shifters match, it was just the older bb that I left. Well, except for the Headset, which is C-record!

I have tried following the pdf instructions on the campy website several times and when I get to the larger cogs it messes up... at one time I had the upper limit screw turned way out, which helps but still doesn't get it into the last cog.. It wouldn't be normal to have that screw turned all the way out would it?

I'm not using campy cables and I'm reusing the older housing.... And maybe the shifters need to be rebuilt... The clicking still seems crisp, but it clicks past 10 clicks.... I've checked the cable routing and that looks ok.

I'll have to take it to a shop and get someone with more experience look at everything, and figure out what is going on... I can't wait to get it going and have a old steel classic to ride with modern components.. It feels great when I've test ridden it! I'll just have to wait a while longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts