Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for anyone who has found if it's possible to get 8 speed ergos to work with some freewheel combination so that I can use one of the threaded 130mm C Record hubs?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have an older Serotta ('87 Nova Special X) set up with 8-speed Chorus ergo levers, and I have C Record threaded hubs. I'm using a 7-speed Dura Ace freewheel, and the shifting is spot on perfect. My rear derailleur is an 8-speed Chorus. I have another set of wheels with a Dura Ace 7-speed freehub, and that rear wheel works great as well. I've used both a KMC 8-speed chain and a Dura Ace 7701 9-speed chain with equally good results. It works because the spacing for Shimano 7 speed is the same as Campy 8 speed.

Another option would be to try to find an 8-speed freewheel, but after researching and reading up on them I decided not to.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I am using a threaded C record hub on my vintage TT bike. I thought that the hub is 126mm, and I can always go check.

When campy etc went 8-speed then spacing changed to 130.

Anyway the sprocket spacing is the same from 7 to 8 speed, meaning that an 8 speed shifter will shift fine on a 7 speed cluster. I'm using a 9-spd chain BTW and the shifting is perfect - nicer than today's.

Sheldon is my guide on spacing Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Sp--Ss

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.