Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a cross post from the wheel forum:

New Wheel Set - Aeroheads?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am considering a set of Velocity Aerohead built up with Ulterga hubs. My question is more about the spokes. I was just going to go with standard double butted spokes, but the builder I think I may have build these up also recommended C-X ray spokes, an hundred dollar upgrade. My question is it worth it? I weight ~190 and ride between 125 to 200 miles a week with some pretty good hills. These will be my everyday wheels and I do not race. Are the X ray spoke worth the extra cake?

Thanks
Henry

·
Registered
180 Posts
No. Any combination of DT Competitons with brass nipples is more than appropriate. Avoid the alloy nipples and the fancier Revolution stuff. You're going to get a huge response here, but most is just wheel-marketing drivel.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Agree............

Yeah, I agree with that completely. While C-Xray spokes are certainly very good, then DT-Swiss are very good also, and cheaper. I contemplated the same thought myself, when I was researching and then selecting my current built up wheels. Although I'm a little heavier than you, I wanted some real good wheels that were different than the norm and I did'nt compromise no where. My Ambrosio "Excellence" rims were built up with DT Swiss 14/15 DB spokes with brass nipples, as recomended for their resilience, and I could not be happier. I ride 75 - 150 miles per week and so far they're bomb-proof.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Same here. I have wheelsets with C-Xray spokes but only because I bought them used and they came that way. All my other wheels are either DT or Wheelsmith spokes and for durability, weight, etc., I honestly can't tell the difference. Save the money and buy tires.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
BTW, Aeroheads are great rims. I have one set of standard drilling and two sets with the OC rear. The oldest set is 3 years old and they are still in great shape. I happen to like Red wheels and the powdercoat red is almost translucent and really durable. You won't go wrong with the set you have in mind.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
CX-Ray spokes are lighter and more aero. They'll make a typical 28h build as aero as a Ksyrium SL. For reference they're 40% less aero than Cosmic Carbone but on the other hand 40% more aero compared to a standard box rim with 32 round spokes.

The down side is that they're less stiff. For someone of 190lbs double butted 2.0/1.8 spokes are more appropriate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.