Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys
I am considering now this 2 bikes. Both same price range. The caad 10 105 is well known but this Basso is apparently really hogh quality as well... italian brand and made, campagnolo components and just really high quality frames. Both bikes can be got for the same price.

Also is Caad10 still made in Usa? The caad10 is 2015 model with 11 speed whereas the Basso is 10 speed . The basso reef below. Caad10 is well know so i will not need to link it here. :)
Bassobikes - Bike 2014

Leaning towards Basso and Campy. Firstly I don't think I really need 11 speed. And Basso for an Italian brand and component seems like a better value. Although Caad is mainstream and all over the place on sponsors etc.

The Basso Reef is a discontinued 2013 range though but again I do not think I entirely need the latest 2015 model if there isn't a big advantage in component and build quality.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ride them both and see what you prefer. I race on a Caad10; there is a reason why it's such a popular model. All group-sets are going to or are 11 speed now IMO you're taking a step back on a new bike. The 5800 groups on the Caad10 is an excellent value/ performance upgrade from their previous 10 speed line.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
CAAD 10s are made in Taiwan. Veloce is Campy's lowest level group. It's still good. 5800 is as good or even better than Ultegra 6700.

BTW, where does it specify a Veloce group on that link you posted? I see a Veloce group on the more expensive Loto, but not on the reef. :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its an option between Veloce and 105 2014.
I now found out that caad 12 is out soon and probably be in the same price range as well. I don't know how to decide now. A spanking new up to date well known caad or a rather exclusive quality italian made bike and components. Also heard caad is problematic with its BB30.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Its an option between Veloce and 105 2014.
I now found out that caad 12 is out soon and probably be in the same price range as well. I don't know how to decide now. A spanking new up to date well known caad or a rather exclusive quality italian made bike and components. Also heard caad is problematic with its BB30.

Have you already had a road bike? Was the geometry okay? If so study Sunday afternoon the Basso and CAAD side by side. Fit is more important than groupset (although these days Campagnolo has nothing to write home anymore and just lives of its name).

Your Basso link is not working, though I guess the Basso is alu as well - right?

No offence but your post points to a newbie? Anyway let me speak for building up your own CAAD:

1. You can chose the handlebar (e.g. I prefer 44 cm wide one with a long reach and drop which is hard to find these days) and the stock handlebar most likely is a compact one and measures a mere 42 cm for a standard size 56 frame.

2. The saddle was most likely not engineered for you seat bones. Choose your own one.

3. The bike will probably come specced with a compact crankset 34/50. I prefer 39/52.

4. The crank lenght is probably 172.5 mm for a size 56 frame. I prefer 175 mm for a size 56 and my body height of 180 cm.

5. Wheels and tyres.

6. Groupset. I prefer SRAM and hardly any bikes - especially at the lower end - come equipped with a SRAM Rival. Even if they would I bet money on it it will be a compact Rival groupset and not a standard one.

Sure you could replace all the parts but why paying upfront for them? If you get a very, very good deal on the fully equipped bike it would still make sense to replace the parts later and sell the original ones on ebay.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I also doubt that the Basso frame is really made in Italy. And the cheaper Campy groups, of which Veloce is one, are mostly made in Romania.

To be perfectly honest, IMHO Shimano 5800 is simply the best bang for the buck in groups. For MSRP of $1680 (probably negotiable) the CAAD 12 non-disc 105 is hard to beat. The frame is just one aspect of a bike. 11 speed 105 is as good as group as 97% of us will ever need. You can race Aksium wheel sets. Sure, there are better ones, but you won't find them on many bikes in the $1500 +/- price range. You also get the mid-compact 52/36 crankset. It's a very nice package at that price. I also noticed that C-dale doesn't seem to have a CAAD 12 frameset-only listing on their 2016 site. MSRP on the 2015 CAAD 10 was $1000. You're not building the equivalent for $650, assuming that you can order a 12 frame, and the price is the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts