Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first introduce myself. I’m a 220lb mountain bike rider and have been riding since the early 90’s, always Cannondales because of how stiff they are even for my weight. I now want to road bike and my priority is stiffness and power transfer to the rear wheel. I’m an ex-competitive weightlifter (olympic style), and really like to apply force to the pedals

I have started with the white and red BB30 CAAD 9 and have also ordered the new Hollowgram crankset. Now, what wheelset do I buy to compliment the frame choice and crank choice?

I am considering three options:

2009 Mavic Elites
2009 Easton EA90sl
Or BWW wheels using DT240s hubs, Mavic openpro rims, DT Revolution spokes except on the drive side rear wheel with competition spokes.

All these wheels cost about the same and weight about the same. Is there something else I should consider? Do I need to spend more money? I figured that ~1550 gram wheelset is a good compromise weight for my weight, not too heavy, but not too fragile. Would you agree?

Tim.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
omg, the last of your options is by far the best outta those its not funny... tho u should know there is no reason to get dt240s, DA or record are better imho - especially record if u are running campy... the rear is only 10g heavier, but has loose ball and a wider flange for extra laterally stiff wheels.... the 240s is kinda narrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I’m surprised to hear that the BWW wheels would be so much better than the new Mavic Elites. My LBS (who I respect very much) is certain that the Elites are fantastic wheels based on his experience and information from Cannondale’s testing of theses wheels. I generally like to go with my LBS recommendations unless I have overwhelming evidence otherwise.

All the responses from this site are starting to sway me toward the BWW wheels.

Tim.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
wow.... what is the LBS smoking if they think that....? find a new one...

the underlying truth is, like many, they probably don't do wheel building, or if they do its expensive..... they prefer to make margin on mavic products....

truth is prebuilt is sooo much more popular these days... for starters they're often oem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.