Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching around the forum but didn't find a specific post with info and was looking for some advice.

I have a 2010 CAAD9 5 that I'm looking to upgrade with Dura Ace 7900 (excluding brakes and crankset)

The bike came with a BB30 FSA Gossamer compact (50/34) crankset. According to FSA it is "compatible" however for optimum performance they have specific chainrings for the DA7900 series.

I'm fine with the Gossamer pro compact cranks for now but finding the matching DA79 chainrings (FSA has specific manuf. numbers) is proving quite difficult.

Assuming I can't find the outer chainring for the Gossamer compace it seems my options are:

1. Just use the non-DA79 crankset as-is; wonder how "bad" the performance will be?
2. Purchase new BB30 crankset with DA79 rings and have that installed (such as SL-K Light or K-Force)
3. Is it possible to use the SL-K Light compact chainrings? I don't care what the color is as there are several online vendors that currently have the correct 50/34 matching pair.

I'm open to any other suggestions as well.

Thanks -

E.V.

· Registered
592 Posts
Upgrade you shifters / derailleurs & try them with existing cranks. If you find the shifting to be acceptable then run existing cranks until the rings are worn out. After that replace as required/desired. On a properly adjusted & clean drivetrain the shift quality between the two brands will be pretty damn close

· Registered
116 Posts
I used a Gossamer compact crank for about 5,000 miles and dropped the chain at least once every 100 miles. Swapped it for a Shimano R700 and that problem went away.

When comparing the rings the Shimano had more elaborate milling and different pin shapes, which I suspect is the reason the Gossamer didn't always perform as well. It was functional, but annoying compared to the R700.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.