Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have not ridden the Cervelo Soloist, however it is one of the few aluminum frames, other than my CAAD9 that I have any interest in. By the looks of it, I trust the Cervelo to be competitive to the CAAD9 in terms of overall stiffness, however it must suffer in ride quality. Cervelo claims that their choice of quality aluminum and construction method makes for a very smooth ride, however I see more compliance built into the CAAD9. The CAAD9 has a very unique seat stay, that does nothing but control road vibrations, and does it very effectively. The thin, hourglass, coke bottle design is very efficient means to add compliance to an aluminum frame; when you understand Cannondale's logic in their design, it is hard to believe the Cervelo can ride smooth...their seat stays look like every other aluminum bike, hard and stiff. I read a Cervelo dealer packet that posted stiffness ratings, and the CAAD9 was at the top of their charts for front end stiffness...I don't recall where the Soloist was, however I think the Soloist Carbon was third in line.

The CAAD9 is a stiff, stiff bike; it handles and accelerates amazingly well. Surprisingly, as stiff as it is, it is a very smooth and pleasant ride too; I love it! It is all the stiffness and compliance I need and desire!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have a P2SL which i assume is similar to the soloist and it is very stiff. But its very rough, which is fine for a TT bike i never ride for more than an hour, and I am buying a CAAD9

my friend has a soloist and he said he is getting tubeless wheels to try and soften up the ride, so there you go

·
Registered
650 Posts
I looked at the Soloist team extensively and have thus ridden it extensively (comparing it to a CAAD9). Both bikes are very stiff. They are both well design bikes with good quality materials and oversized tubes. You will never have a problem with either bike not being stiff enough. As for smoothness, the CAAD9 has been engineered and re-engineered countless times. In my opinion, it is the best riding aluminum bike out there.

As a general matter, I think that the CAAD9 is more bang for the buck. With the soloist, you pay a huge premium for that "aero" x-factor. The fact is that most people ride and race (except TT's obviously) on exceptionally un-aero bike and do just fine.

·
Mtb to Road
33 Posts
Mind if I ask what kind of wheels you're on? I had a six13 with Mavic equips and SLs and found the bike too plush. The carbon soloist was a league better but not the price, mind you the wheels were different (eastons) too.
I wouldn't mind switching to a CAAD 9 IF it were that much stiffer.
Bike was stolen so I'm off to a fresh start.
Any thoughts for a stiffer ride than six13 appreciated.

·
Registered
673 Posts
kcinjp said:
Mind if I ask what kind of wheels you're on? I had a six13 with Mavic equips and SLs and found the bike too plush. The carbon soloist was a league better but not the price, mind you the wheels were different (eastons) too.
I wouldn't mind switching to a CAAD 9 IF it were that much stiffer.
Bike was stolen so I'm off to a fresh start.
Any thoughts for a stiffer ride than six13 appreciated.
Both the CAAD9 and systemsix are renowned for there torsional stiffness. The system being the lighter and more comfortable one. The caad being the cheaper one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.