Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to cycling and put a downpayment for a Caad8 which is really all I need at this point. However I just tried the Caad10 and can feel a noticable difference. It feels like a strong front wheel drive car with a lot of power/acceleration in the front, which I love. I know I don't need it but it just feels so nice. My question is, where is that coming from? I understand the geometry is slightly lower/etc, as is the aluminum. I'm just wondering how much of that might be coming from the better wheelset? If so, I have no problem grabbing my Caad8, knowing that a little down the line I can get it to have a similar feel. If it has more to do with the gemoetry though, I might have to see if I can change over to the Caad10, which is really cutting my budget too close right now and would like to avoid. How close would the Caad8 be holding all parts constant?

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
CAAD10 uses a slightly different aluminum alloy (6069 vs 6061), as you mentioned better wheelset, 105 cassette (vs Tiagra), which may be a tad lighter, the crank on the 10 is 53-39T vs. compact 50-34T on the 8.

A slightly better wheelset already puts you at the 10 pricepoint, not including crank, possibly lighter frame.

Maybe the CAAD8 is like a BMW 128i and the CAAD10 is more like a BMW 135i.... since a RWD analogy is better suited

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it was probably mostly either a combo of the geometry and difference in front fork, or the wheelset. Interesting though, you think as much as 90% huh? Something to look fwd to for Christmas:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
CAAD10 uses a slightly different aluminum alloy (6069 vs 6061), as you mentioned better wheelset, 105 cassette (vs Tiagra), which may be a tad lighter, the crank on the 10 is 53-39T vs. compact 50-34T on the 8.

A slightly better wheelset already puts you at the 10 pricepoint, not including crank, possibly lighter frame.

Maybe the CAAD8 is like a BMW 128i and the CAAD10 is more like a BMW 135i.... since a RWD analogy is better suited
Bold part isn't true, CAAD10 comes in either compact or standard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.