Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I'm going to buy me a new bike and I hesitate between :
- a CAAD8 with 105 and rear-derailleur Ultegra
- a CAAD5 with Ultegra
- a Trek 1500 with Ultegra

Well, my weight is 92kg and maybe this may/can influence my choice ... or am I wrong ?

What do I need to choose ?
I've read that the CAAD5 is stiffer then the CAAD8 and more suited for people over 80kg ... is this true ?
But is the CAAD5 not an 'old' bike and (much) heavier than the others ?
Should I buy Trek 1500 in favor of the CAAD5 ... the Trek is a more recent model/bike, so not 'old' like the CAAD5 ...

Or should I go for the CAAD8 even if it's not that stiff and 'only' with 105 ...

Help ! Help ! ;)

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
buy the Caad 8, its a newer bike, better tube manipulating, lighter, "just as stiff" and it will have a warranty! the new 105 is actually pretty nice, its 10 speed and shifts really well, besides if you dont like the components change them out along the way! DONT BUY TREK!!!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The CAAD5 is a slightly heavier frame which may have better long term durability for a heavier rider. Both are light in any absolute sense, and sub-UCI weight bikes can be built using either frame (check out Weightweenies web site).
The CAAD5 is plenty light, reasonably comfortable on long rides, and responsive like no other (IMHO). Personally- I would get the CAAD5 with full Ultegra, but then I happen to love my CAAD5 frame (Ultegra/105 mix) and have no desire to trade it for a CAAD8 (even with the discount program).
I agree with Tejas that the 1500 is a markedly inferior frame to either of these Cdales.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted this topic on another forum aswell and the answers were the same : go for the Cdales and NOT for the Trek.

The reactions on which Cdale to buy were divided into 2 'parts' (like here) :
-Some say to buy the CAAD8 because it's lighter, newer, better ... one of the best alu frames on the market (but not as stiff as the CAAD5)
- Some say to buy the CAAD5 considering my weight (92kg) because it is stiffer than the CAAD8 and the difference in weight between the CAAD5 and CAAD8 is not that huge

WIll give it a thought ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
356 Posts
no offense, but...

you're an idiot if you buy the trek1500. get the CAAD5/ultegra. i've had mine for 3 years and love it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts