Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering the 2009 CAAD 9 6 lately. I prefer the silver color over the black and white (with Shimano 105) options. I am on a budget and the price is good too. Is the Tiagra group that bad? The reviews here are very different and confusing. I am willing to take the weight penalty as long as the Tiagra transmission does its job. What about the Shimano R500 wheelset reliability (heavy I know)? I'm not racing but ride almost everyday 30 to 60 km. I also join pretty fast (for me anyway) club rides. I might be able to upgrade some components after 1 or 2 seasons but I don't want to curse the bike in the meanwhile. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the white/red CAAD9 6. The Tiagra is heavy, but I can't complain about how it performs. I prefer Sram, but functionally, the Shimano shifts perfectly. I probably tune the drive train a little more than a higher end group (cable tension, etc.), but it's never held me back.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Tiagra's just fine

I've been riding it about 300 miles a week this season.

Shifts fine, has 9 instead of 10-speeds like current 105 does.

The only complaint I've had is that the rear derailleur upper pulley has a fairly cheap bushing, it squeals a bunch and needs frequent regreasing. This is early spring in the Pacific Northwest, so I'm riding in quite a bit of rain as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts