Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... in my LBS I can buy 3 differents bikes for almost the same price... caad9 optimo 1 full dura-ace.(ksyrium elite).... six 13 3 on ultegra (askium race) and system6 on sram rival (askium race) the price is 2100$ to 2400$.. according to you, which one would be the best and why ???

thank you

· Registered
98 Posts
System 6 Rival wins no probs.

say System 6 regardless of groupset almost, because it's something you can upgrade and is a great frame but...

I have Force on my System 6 and Rival on my CAAD9 and there's not a great deal of difference in how the group sets perform, Rival is way better than Ultegra (I haven't ridden DA)

SRAM is really intuitive to use, feels good in the hand and looks good too.

· Registered
351 Posts
shotojs78 said:
Hi... in my LBS I can buy 3 differents bikes for almost the same price... caad9 optimo 1 full dura-ace.(ksyrium elite).... six 13 3 on ultegra (askium race) and system6 on sram rival (askium race) the price is 2100$ to 2400$.. according to you, which one would be the best and why ???

thank you

I would take the six13 out of consideration. That's a tough choice between the CAAD9 and System6, but what a nice problem to have.

All of 2007 I had my eye on the CAAD9 Optimo 1. Once I had some cash the new System6 came out in the same price range. I was in the same boat your ar now. However, the CAAD9 was no longer available at my LBS, and I really liked the System6 w/ the Rival group. I eneded up with a mark down 2007 System6 Liquigas.

Having researched this for some time, here are things to consider:
1 - CAAD9 is ready to roll without having to upgrade anything. It is light out of the box with quality components all around. Plus, I think that the raw aluminum looks sleek.

2 - System6 Rival has the oversized head tube that is rock solid in handling, and the frame is excellent. However, the steerer, headset, and seat post are not full carbon. The wheelset is midgrade.

Fortunately, I don't think that you can make a 'wrong' choice. Both are excellent bikes. It just depends if you are the type that likes the best (DA, wheelset, etc), and if you don't mind spending extra money on a few upgrades.

If it were me, I would go with the System 6 and upgrade the wheelset and seat post if you want to go lighter. The System6 frame is worth the upgrades.

Good luck.

· Banned
328 Posts
CAAD with the system six in a close second.

Look, Cunego won the giro on a CAAD 8 with campy and ksyrium wheels. Anything else is massive diminishing utility - I'm not saying it's not better, I am just saying dollar to benefit it goes down dramatically.

Having said that, the system six is one awesome frame.

· Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thank you.... but I'M not a big rider yet!!!! I ride since 2 years.... someone told me that the systemsix is for a good rider with ''strong legs'' ??? The best of both worlds would be six 13 I think....??

· Registered
1,536 Posts
The system six is a great bike for powerful riders, as it is super stiff and can really transfer power to the ground. But it is still a great bike for average riders too. It rides smooth, it's very light, and it handles great. Cannondales in general share the " great for a powerful rider" tag. The system is more bike than many of it's buyers need, but you won't hear many owners complain. Any one of the 3 bikes you mentioned will be a great bike. I would base my choice on road conditions perhaps. The CAAD bike will be harsher riding being that it is all aluminum. The others have carbon that will absorb vibrations. Do you ride rough surfaces much? If so, go with the 6-13 or system 6.

· Registered
184 Posts
I'd get the caad9. What frame attributes are really important to you? Velonews tested the caad9 as one of the stiffest frames on the market last year. How freaking stiff does a frame have to be? You guys need to remember that they are making these bikes for pro-tour gorillas, like Cipollini, Zabel, and Potazzo. These guys can really flex a bike where as most of us don't put out that many watts or power. If you want the newest coolest bike then maybe get the carbon one. If aluminum was still popular you can bet that cannondale wouldn't be making carbon bikes. Do you want a smooth riding frame for a century? The Six 13 is a really nice frame. Just a couple of years ago they were super hot...I'm still riding a caad4 and it is really stiff and really fast. I might upgrade to a caad8 :)
The best value is the caad9, or the six13. Ultegra is really really good stuff. You can always get new wheels later. Do you really need such a stiff front end? How much do you weigh?

· Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vanilla Gorilla said:
I'd get the caad9. What frame attributes are really important to you? Velonews tested the caad9 as one of the stiffest frames on the market last year. How freaking stiff does a frame have to be? You guys need to remember that they are making these bikes for pro-tour gorillas, like Cipollini, Zabel, and Potazzo. These guys can really flex a bike where as most of us don't put out that many watts or power. If you want the newest coolest bike then maybe get the carbon one. If aluminum was still popular you can bet that cannondale wouldn't be making carbon bikes. Do you want a smooth riding frame for a century? The Six 13 is a really nice frame. Just a couple of years ago they were super hot...I'm still riding a caad4 and it is really stiff and really fast. I might upgrade to a caad8 :)
The best value is the caad9, or the six13. Ultegra is really really good stuff. You can always get new wheels later. Do you really need such a stiff front end? How much do you weigh?
5'10'' - 200lbs..... according to you, the best wheels (quality-price) stiff and light????

· Registered
184 Posts
shotojs78 said:
5'10'' - 200lbs..... according to you, the best wheels (quality-price) stiff and light????

Ok, at 200lbs a few hundred grams of frame weight won't make any difference when climbing a big hill. I mean absolutely no disrespect when I say that, it's just true. :) .I truly think you should go test ride a caad 9, six-13 and a System6. Which feels better to you? When you get up and crank does one feel like a noodle? Is one more comfortable? Does one frame beat you up? I think that you will find that they will all accelerate quite well. I know for a fact that their all aluminum bikes are awesome and Dura-ace and K's are great parts. Good wheels will make you faster than a 200grams of frame weight, but 200lbs you might want to ask your LBS which wheels they have the most success with. Durability might be more of an issue. Some people brake spokes on the Ksyrium wheels. It sucks to bust a spoke on a ride. You need to test ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.