Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For my first upgrade on my 2009 Caad9 5 I thought I would invest in a good saddle, so I read the reviews on here and found that most overwhelmingly favor the specialized toupe. I bought one to try out, and have only ridden it about 100 miles and I am having an odd problem. It feels like I am flexing the saddle onto the retaining bolt on the seatpost. As you can imagine it doesnt feel very good, so I am looking for advice on weather I should swap out the saddle, or maybe try a different seatpost that hopefully provides a little more clearance. Any opinions are welcome, heres the pics!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a toupe on both my CAAD 9 and System-Six. On the CAAD I have a Specialized seat post with zertz insert and the System has a U.S.E. Alien post. I weigh 185 and do not have any problems.

·
extremely biased
870 Posts
This punishment for putting a Toupe on a Cannodnale.

:lol:

Seriously, change your post and all will be well. I will say the Toupes appear to be made of pocket lint, saw dust, and hamster bed shavings, though the exact amalgamation is closely guarded secret the outcome is not. They tend to start to "wear out" quickly or something. Basically the shells get "flexy" (I hate that word but it actually works here) where they are not supposed to (like in the middle under your "sandbar"). High end saddles don't use carbon bases for weight................... anyway.

And for God's sake, don't use a Thompson....... they make good stuff but I feel my soul heat up every time I see one on a road bike :lol: I head for something non-conductive for fear of the impending lighting strike :lol: I'd rather you use (oh it hurts to say this) an FSA post.............. don't hit me.

Starnut

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Fizik Aliante with USE carbon post.

·
22 going on Ancient
373 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Whatever seatpost you buy make sure it has enough setback. Many people have recommended Thomson but you should verify that the zero setback or the one with setback (only 16mm) is enough for you. Also ignore the style police, Thomson is a PRO seatpost. And its good enough for any weight weenie.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
STARNUT said:
This punishment for putting a Toupe on a Cannodnale.

:lol:

Seriously, change your post and all will be well. I will say the Toupes appear to be made of pocket lint, saw dust, and hamster bed shavings, though the exact amalgamation is closely guarded secret the outcome is not. They tend to start to "wear out" quickly or something. Basically the shells get "flexy" (I hate that word but it actually works here) where they are not supposed to (like in the middle under your "sandbar"). High end saddles don't use carbon bases for weight................... anyway.

And for God's sake, don't use a Thompson....... they make good stuff but I feel my soul heat up every time I see one on a road bike :lol: I head for something non-conductive for fear of the impending lighting strike :lol: I'd rather you use (oh it hurts to say this) an FSA post.............. don't hit me.

Starnut
Man STARNUT you is a HATER! ;) I have a Toupe on the Synapse, a Toupe going on the CAAD9, an FSA handlebar on the Synapse, and FSA handlebars/Seatpost going on the CAAD9.

I am the Ultimate STARNUT-rule-breaker :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have the same setup (toupe and cannondale post on CAAD9) and no problems at 170lbs.

Maybe you are not sitting far enough back on the saddle (ie on your "sit" bones)?

I had thought about sanding down the bolt on the seatpost at one point..never got around to it...if you do that, make sure to chase the thread to make sure there are no burrs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the thing is I do weigh 220lbs so I suspect its more of an issue for me, but I will deffinately keep that in mind when it finally stops raining

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
ghetto b said:
Well the thing is I do weigh 220lbs so I suspect its more of an issue for me, but I will deffinately keep that in mind when it finally stops raining
I've been on a Toupe since, oh, around late December/early January. I weighed around 220 at the time as well - I suspect the same thing - that you're not sitting far enough back on the saddle. Or the saddle could be defective, I suppose.

-Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts