Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
musgravecycles said:
Does anybody know what kind of hanger is employed on the rear brake of this 'nago?...

Hey thanks for reading!
That would be the old hole-drilled-through-the-seatpost hanger.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
wunlap togo said:
That would be the old hole-drilled-through-the-seatpost hanger.
That's certainly ONE place to put that.

Good thing its a 1-season racing rig!

M

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
talk about

too much $ to blow.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uhhh, I'm not refering to the cable going through the seat post folks...I'm trying to figure out what kind of straddle carrier/hanger is used on his rear brake...

BTW, the rider didn't pay a dime for that bike, that's Sven Vanthourenhout's ride...

·
Registered
129 Posts
i think thats just the standard Spooky straddle cable hanger. the rear derailer (top routed) housing looks like its going into the hanger but I think thats just an illusion.

jhr

·
Registered
813 Posts
jhr said:
i think thats just the standard Spooky straddle cable hanger. the rear derailer (top routed) housing looks like its going into the hanger but I think thats just an illusion.

jhr
no the spooky's are round, i picked up a lot of hangers on ebay the other day that look a little similiar., but not exactly.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Looks to me like Tektro's knockoff of the Tri-Dangle--I think they were also sold under the Advent brand for a while. Just used a pair this weekend to replace the #&$%in' one-size-fits-all POS that came on a used bike I just bought.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, but It's not a Tektro, look at the size and shape of the cutout hole in the middle... I'm wondering if spooky is in the process of releasing a new/improved hanger... Any other ideas...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I can't even see the cutout hole in the middle--something about a black straddle wire hanger photographed against a black frame and black panel of some sort.... :D

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
musgravecycles said:
Thanks for the suggestions, but It's not a Tektro, look at the size and shape of the cutout hole in the middle... I'm wondering if spooky is in the process of releasing a new/improved hanger... Any other ideas...
It's hardly new and improved that design has been around for 12-15 years. You often see one-off widgets on pro's bikes in europe. It's the same type of design as the old avid and tektro ones. It has 2 set screws that pinch the brake cable. I used these for Barbs bike for quite a while and I decided that I didn't really like that part of the design because those small set screws really smash the cable. I prefer the really basic ones that come with the Paul Components brakes with a more traditional design. They all work, but those avid-type ones just end up requiring more frequent cable replacement (once it's been smashed by the set screws, the cable should be replaced any time the height of the hanger is adjusted).

·
Registered
813 Posts
yeah i agree wunlap, i used the Peace hangers in the past, and although they look cool, it only has one small set screw which totally crushes the cable and was hard to get it tight enough so it slipped.

jeremy

·
Registered
813 Posts
i took a pic of the one's wunlap was talking about and also of the ones i got off ebay a month ago or so. It uses two small screws and two plates, the screws tighten the 2 plates together, and the cables just get held between the 2 plates (i think it works pretty good, and its 5 grams lighter than the gold one).

jeremy

jeremyb said:
yeah i agree wunlap, i used the Peace hangers in the past, and although they look cool, it only has one small set screw which totally crushes the cable and was hard to get it tight enough so it slipped.

jeremy

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
jeremyb said:
i took a pic of the one's wunlap was talking about and also of the ones i got off ebay a month ago or so. It uses two small screws and two plates, the screws tighten the 2 plates together, and the cables just get held between the 2 plates (i think it works pretty good, and its 5 grams lighter than the gold one).

jeremy
Actually, the one I like is basically that gold one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts