Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I installed a new rear shifter cable on my mountain bike, the shifting has been horrible. For some reason, I always had difficulty figuring out where on the bolt the cable should go. I attached an image of my present setup. I would appreciate feeback.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Looks like the routing is OK, but it looks like a low end coarse inner wire. Next time look for a "die drawn" inner wire.

These are pulled through a die, or rollers to squash them so they'll be smoother on the outside, and are sold under various trademarks such as "slick". They run much smoother through the housings which is important because the RD return spring has very light action, and it takes very little cable friction to foul up the performance of an index system.

BTW- Did you replace both the inner wire and housing? If not you should have, because the housing liners wear pretty quickly causing excess friction.

·
Registered
452 Posts
FBinNY said:
BTW- Did you replace both the inner wire and housing? If not you should have, because the housing liners wear pretty quickly causing excess friction.
+1. Also, did you grease the cable before inserting it into the housing? This helps with friction.

I don't know what your skill level is, but rear derailleurs can be kinda tricky to get set up properly, so you may need to just do some more trial and error with your adjustments.

·
weird huh?
304 Posts
Surprised nobody else noticed:

Rotate the 'L' washer 45 degrees counterclockwise, so the 'L' flange goes underneath the derailleur cable......minor thing, but the groove in the washer is most likely cut to align in that direction.

good luck

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
cmdrpiffle said:
Surprised nobody else noticed:

Rotate the 'L' washer 45 degrees counterclockwise, so the 'L' flange goes underneath the derailleur cable......minor thing, but the groove in the washer is most likely cut to align in that direction.

good luck

The groove is not under the "L" part. The fixing bolt is correct with the "L" part up on the side.

If you pull off the "L" part on your bike, you will see a slight groove. But it will be on the flat part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts