Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5,358 Posts
It's not needed. But shimano shifter cables wear out, and the 10sp shifters seem to wear the cables out faster than 9sp. So you should at least replace the inner wires. Since the shift cable housings are out in the open it only takes a few minutes to replace them too.

If you leave the brake housing under the bars make sure that the levers but up against the housing ends. If they don't the housing will be held in position only by tape, and it could move at any time. That'll increase the cable slack and possibly cause you to lose your braking.

· Registered
188 Posts
Trying to thread a used, crimped cable through the shifter and housings can be one of the more maddening experiences of wrenching. Those little cable strands under the fingernails feel great!

Replace them. Takes the same amount of time (most likely less time) and costs just a couple bucks.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Cable condition

russotto said:
When going from 9 speed to 10 speed Shimano, is it necessary or advisable to change the shifter cables?
It really depends on the condition of your old cables/casings rather than the switch to 10s. If you have doubts, replace the cables/casings. Otherwise, no need.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
yanksphan said:
Trying to thread a used, crimped cable through the shifter and housings can be one of the more maddening experiences of wrenching. Those little cable strands under the fingernails feel great!

Replace them. Takes the same amount of time (most likely less time) and costs just a couple bucks.
That's why I don't use the crimps. I finish the ends of my cables with a drop of thick CA glue.

But really - yeah, go ahead and change 'em anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.