Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any cool ways to do it or are you pretty much stuck with cables sticking out? I have an '08 Synapse with Ultegra 6600 shifters, and I just picked up an FSA K-Wing handlebar. I will likely route the brake cables inside the handlebars, and I wish I could do the same with the shift cables (on my new build with '09 Rival components, I'll be able to hide brake AND shift cables).

It sure would be nice to not have cables sticking out! Here's a picture of the bike from a couple months back - I didn't take a picture last night with the K-Wings installed - I'll do that this weekend - And fix my terrible taping job!

Edit: My worst misspells are always in the subject line - because you can't change them!! U L T E G R A :)

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
your tape job is great...right up 'til the very end! just pull the tape at the same angle you're wrapping it, and cut straight back along the line of the frame. you'll get a nice taper, which you can tape over easily.
if you're using regular housing, you're stuck w/ that cable routing. it's good, because it's easy to replace cables/housing w/o having to undo bar tape. if you use nokon or something like that, you can get MOST of it under the bar tape, but you'll always have a little loop from the exit of the shifter to where you go back under the tape...IMO that looks way worse than the normal routing.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Tape job.

There's no need ever to have the electrical tape touch the handlebar. Here's my recent springtime tape job, with a touch of color added. One piece of black tape about 1/8 of an inch away from the cut tape edge, one piece of narrower red tape on top of the black.

Not sure about the color of the handlebar tape—one day I like it, the next day I think it's hideous. :D

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
You have one option that I've seen on the forums here in the past. It involves using the cable housing that is made up of links (looks like little beads) instead of solid cable housing. I don't recall the brand name (personally I think it's a gimmic) but you run the cable out a little bit from the shifter (small loop) then go under the bar tape as normal. You may be able to search the forums and find the link or someone here will chime in and provide the missing pieces to the puzzle.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thommy said:
You have one option that I've seen on the forums here in the past. It involves using the cable housing that is made up of links (looks like little beads) instead of solid cable housing. I don't recall the brand name (personally I think it's a gimmic) but you run the cable out a little bit from the shifter (small loop) then go under the bar tape as normal. You may be able to search the forums and find the link or someone here will chime in and provide the missing pieces to the puzzle.
Yeah those are the Nokon cables you are referring to:

If that is my only other option, I think I'll stick with it the way it is now :) And I'd love to replace it with Rival so I could route the cables differently, but I bought the bike in November - even I cannot justify THAT purchase! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.