Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that I have some light scratches on my 2008 Felt F4 frame where my derailleur cables touch my frame. Nothing too major, just some light scratches. Is there any way to remove these scratches? If it matters, my frame is clear gloss over carbon.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
797 Posts
I assume we're talking about surface scuffing? Try rubbing compund

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
are you talking about the cables themselves, or the housing? if it's the housing, you can get those little clear stick-on frame protector things, or the jagwire housing bumpers that are split and wrap around the housing where it bumps the frame. if it's the actual cable, you're probably looking at rubbing compound or just leaving it. a couple coats of good auto wax might help, if applied regularly...could be worth a try.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Personally, I don't like rubbing compound. IMO/IME it's too abrasive. Polishing compound is similar, but less abrasive. Dupont makes a good one. When I use it I scoop out about a tablespoon size hunk and mix it with water in a small jar. I can't give you the proportions, but it should be like soupy mud. Then dip a rag in it & rub the spot. Wipe it off thoroughly once in a while to see if the marks have disappeared.

You could also try wet sanding the spot using 2000 grit paper. Use lots of water. I've also tried using a Dremel with a polishing wheel and red jeweler's rouge. I haven't had too much luck with the Dremel, though. I get an uneven result. That might have something to do with my skill level.

No matter which method you use you should be aware that rubbing too hard or too much will wear away the clear coat, and it's entirely possible to wear through thhe color layer to bare metal. Proceed with care, but without fear. Just check your work often and when you get as good as you think is posible...stop.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
For light rub marks I use a low abrasive car wax from Einszett (1Z) either Wax Polishsoft or Metallic Polish Wax, both these are low abrasive type auto paint waxes. Meguiar's along with the many others will also suffice here so long as it is a low abrasive type.

The resin finish is pretty soft so it may need finer grits to get a good surface finish that blends well. 3M has polishing sheets up to 1 Micron/8000 mesh. This will pretty much put a gloss finish on many surfaces. I haven't tried on the CF bike though. Works fine on car tailights and many other items I've polished if you don't have a buffer handy. It is a lot of handwork when done progressively and properly.

After it is cleaned up, apply one of those clear bra type films.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts