Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope there are some engineer types here who might be able to help me.

In the early '90s I bought AutoSketch (from AutoDesk), got good with it, loved it and used it a lot. It's a fairly basic 2D program that used objects (boxes, circles, rectangles) and "attaches" and I could draw using the mouse freehand with grids or by punching in X and Y coordinates (with .001" precision).
It was great in Win 3.0 but hasn't worked in decades.

I'm looking for a simple 2D program that's free and not very complicated. It seems like everything today is 3D, a real struggle to learn and does much more than I need or want. I did a search and lots of programs popped up; can anyone recommend one they like?

TIA

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
It's probably not working because you have a 64 bit computer. Try your program on a 32 bit computer, it will probably work. So if you already have a old laptop, there it is free.
What is Win 3.0?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
try whatever you want, they still can't draw a curve

·
Registered
647 Posts
Honestly just go 3d sketching it helps with drawing views later on.

SketchUp Make | SketchUp this is a free powerful solid modeler.
3D can be great. I've used SolidWorks for 13 years and done some really great, fun modeling and drawings. But it can be overkill and completely lacking for some uses (electrical wiring diagram for one example).

Therefore, 2D programs can still be very valid depending on the needs of the user. Without know exactly what he is doing and his particular background, 3D could be great or totally unneeded. Not to mention the learning curve that is easier for some people than others.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
3D can be great. I've used SolidWorks for 13 years and done some really great, fun modeling and drawings. But it can be overkill and completely lacking for some uses (electrical wiring diagram for one example).

Therefore, 2D programs can still be very valid depending on the needs of the user. Without know exactly what he is doing and his particular background, 3D could be great or totally unneeded. Not to mention the learning curve that is easier for some people than others.

Pro e (creo now) since high school, solidworks is like crayons LOL. Unigraphics is kinda interesting.

Autocad r14, and inventor on the side for some companies.

but if you must do 2d librecad is adequate.
Home of LibreCAD, 2D-CAD

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Pro e (creo now) since high school, solidworks is like crayons LOL. Unigraphics is kinda interesting.

Autocad r14, and inventor on the side for some companies.

but if you must do 2d librecad is adequate.
Home of LibreCAD, 2D-CAD
Unigraphics is still going? Who uses that?
I agree solidworks is simpler than Pro E, but it's still way overkill for people who have a question like post #1...

Not sure why a very straightforward topic went on to mold making or even 3D modelling. It sounds like OP is looking to draw their backyard or floorplan, so why would anyone talk about Pro Engineer or Unigraphics or CATIA or anything like that?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Not being condescending, solidworks is a mold makers nightmare. You can fake dimensions.
It's possible to fake dims in nearly all CAD packages. That doesn't make one better than another.

20 years in the engineering department of a manufacturing company and experience with many CAD systems showed me that crappy work can be done in any one. As always, good modeling and drafting practice are required.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Unigraphics is still going? Who uses that?
I agree solidworks is simpler than Pro E, but it's still way overkill for people who have a question like post #1...

Not sure why a very straightforward topic went on to mold making or even 3D modelling. It sounds like OP is looking to draw their backyard or floorplan, so why would anyone talk about Pro Engineer or Unigraphics or CATIA or anything like that?
Pitt likes to flex his tech muscle and sometimes point out how others are doing something wrong (i.e. not how he would do it).

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help guys!

I downloaded SketchUp a few years ago, played with it for a while and dumped it. I don't need 3D and didn't want to invest the time to learn it. AutoSketch spoiled me because I was so familiar with it that it was accurate, fast and easy.

AutoCad LT replaced AutoSketch and I found out that veterans can get the student version for free. Hopefully the commands and function that I've already learned will work in LT.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Good news.

Again, if that doesn't work, try DraftSight. It is so similar to AutoCAD that I think you can jump right in with little effort.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Is there a CAD system that doesn't allow you to fake dimensions? I've never seen one. Nor would I use one that didn't have that ability because sometimes it's necessary.
Well pro-e just crashes if you try to fake the dimension LOL. Then you got to roll back the model, just make sure to watch out that middle mouse button can mess you up. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts