Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, what a big difference I noticed going from the stock CAAD 10 seatpost to a full carbon C2 seat post. It made a very smooth CAAD 10 all that much better! Highly advise you CAAD 10 owners to try it! I can only speak about the full carbon seatpost, not the carbon/aluminum wrapped one. Real nice ride improvement for me.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
And lets not forget some 25mm tires to smooth things. I have a carbon post with a Spec Toupe Pro (carbon rails).

If I had to get another post, I'd get the Williamscycling carbon thing. $100 with a micro adj screw for perfect angles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can third that recommendation. I put on a Ritchey WCS carbon post, WCS EvoCurve aluminum bars, and 25c tires. The ride and feel is premium and much more plush.

A carbon stem is next. Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you use carbon bars I hope you use a torque wrench. Your carbon bar snapping while riding is no bueno.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
I can third that recommendation. I put on a Ritchey WCS carbon post, WCS EvoCurve aluminum bars, and 25c tires. The ride and feel is premium and much more plush.

A carbon stem is next. Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you use carbon bars I hope you use a torque wrench. Your carbon bar snapping while riding is no bueno.
You don't want a carbon stem. Trust me on that.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Lets hear a real reason not to use a carbon stem. I'm predisposed to not trust anyone who uses "trust me" as a reason.
Just do your own research then. The topic has come up here before so you can find the posts. Carbon stems are simply a waste of money. They're not any lighter than ALU stems and provide nothing in terms of dampening vibrations. They're also more prone to failure.
But who am I to tell you how to spend your money? Do as you wish.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In this case why not get a CF bike? ;)
I'm all for carbon. My bike has a carbon frame, seatpost, handlebar, crank arms and shifters. A CF stem is just unnecessary.
I agree, I think the seat post is a good upgrade. Stem would be more for the bling of it. Like a Zipp carbon stem...bling, bling, bling 😊

·
fu
2,424 Posts
I agree, I think the seat post is a good upgrade. Stem would be more for the bling of it. Like a Zipp carbon stem...bling, bling, bling 
I happen to think that the ZIPP carbon stems are particularly ugly. They're heavier than a lot of ALU stems out there and they're not all CF. The face plate is made of an alloy. It's trying too hard. :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
I recently put an FSA SL-K carbon post on my CAAD10 and agree that the result is a much nicer ride - saved 60grams too!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I do not really buy that... unless your seatpost extended from the frame for more than 10 inches. My is about 7 and I cannot feel any difference between carbon and aluminum however a long carbon seatpost was a nice addition to my mtb.

·
Registered
102 Posts
G'day mate, I'm not gonna argue semantics with you on it other than to provide some background to my assessment.

I had the carbon seatpost sitting in the shed from an old bike, so it was not a shiny, new purchase that 'inspired magical results' nor was it a purchase that I had to reconcile / justify to myself. After being informed that my seat height was too low by the bloke who runs the LBS which sold me the bike, I decided to change the posts over and set to the advised height. Further to that, I also changed from Fulcrum R3s to Fulcrum R1s (a stiffer wheelset) at the same time and run my 23mm tyres at 110psi. In my application, the carbon portion of seatpost extends 4.5" from the frame collar.

I did notice a difference and am happy that I changed it.

cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.