Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes we all acknowledge the weaknesses of this team, but when both Aussies are frustrated at this Tour and Leif Hoste rides his "renegade" races you gotta know there's trouble brewing with this team...Robbie said he gets no support with his sprints, Cadel's got no one to help him (as it's a Classics team, not a GC team), but still Aerts, VanSummeren ride their butts off and still little in the way of results for this team. Cioni and poor Wim Vansevenant are near useless, it's clear they need to go with youth and start over. They've got 2 team leaders who are VERY frustrated about the lack of support. This team is the antithesis of CSC, they're in total disarray and sorely need new direction and leaders. What a fall for the team with Tchmil, VanPetegem in their recent history...Popo is 27 and better start riding sometime soon. He never seems to help in a crucial situation, maybe Horner could've done better - certainly they should've paid the guy! At least that would've shut Evans up this Tour!! And please team directors, don't make McEwen mad! No chemistry or direction on this team...are they the NY Mets of cycling?? It would seem so now.
 

·
Number10
Joined
·
490 Posts
The sooner an Australian sponsored team with Australian riders gets off the ground the better. There are enough world class Aussies riding now that a competitive team made up of just Aussies can be built.
 

·
Lurkaholic
Joined
·
347 Posts
jpap said:
The sooner an Australian sponsored team with Australian riders gets off the ground the better. There are enough world class Aussies riding now that a competitive team made up of just Aussies can be built.
As a fellow Aussie, I'm gonna have to disagree with you mate. Teams benefit from multi-national inclusion. I don't think there is a team on the tour that is uni-national ( with the exception of perhaps a french or spanish teams).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Apparently Cadel Evans even rides in separate bus from the rest of the team between stages. Such behavior could point to severe personal problems between Evans and the rest of the team. So perhaps his team mates find it difficult to give their best if they actually hates his guts. That his team also hires him a bodyguard, apparently not to protect Evans but to protect the public/journalists against him could also point to some problems with his temperament.
Of course this is pure speculation, I have actually never read anything about how his relations with the rest of the team is.

--
Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,838 Posts
nealrab said:
Yes we all acknowledge the weaknesses of this team, but when both Aussies are frustrated at this Tour and Leif Hoste rides his "renegade" races you gotta know there's trouble brewing with this team...Robbie said he gets no support with his sprints, Cadel's got no one to help him (as it's a Classics team, not a GC team), but still Aerts, VanSummeren ride their butts off and still little in the way of results for this team. Cioni and poor Wim Vansevenant are near useless, it's clear they need to go with youth and start over. They've got 2 team leaders who are VERY frustrated about the lack of support. This team is the antithesis of CSC, they're in total disarray and sorely need new direction and leaders. What a fall for the team with Tchmil, VanPetegem in their recent history...Popo is 27 and better start riding sometime soon. He never seems to help in a crucial situation, maybe Horner could've done better - certainly they should've paid the guy! At least that would've shut Evans up this Tour!! And please team directors, don't make McEwen mad! No chemistry or direction on this team...are they the NY Mets of cycling?? It would seem so now.
Robbie KNOWS he was getting no support for the sprints. He was just explaining it for all the people who like to wank on him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Evans will never win the tour on a team that has such a focus on the spring classics. Two different animals. Independant strong willed cyclists win in spring, strong riders with a TEAM win the tours.

That's how Slipstream, and High Road did so well in this tour, strong team connections between riders, not strong riders on the same team. CSC has strong riders, and strong team connections, and they kicked ass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Giro results not bad, but...

as we all know the Giro is not the Tour. But I guess as I review the results Silence Lotto did throw in some good young riders to see how they'd do. Van den Broeck (24) at 7th, Matt Lloyd (24) at 30th, Wim Van Huffel (28) at 38th, Francis de Greef (22) at 40th and Dries Devenyns (24) at 117th are decent results. I think we will all agree that Greg Van Avermaet (22) will be a very fine rider also. Maybe the team directors should have thrown some of these guys into the deep water of the Tour...Brandt, Hoste, Vansevenant all were terrible. Gotta move on people. If Horner was retained and Robbie could have had just two guys as strong leadouts Cadel would have quit whining and Robbie would have been ecstatic! McEwen would NEVER complain if he was given a modicum of respect...I mean the guy's won like 3 Green jerseys. I don't expect a Domina Vacanze or Milram or Quick Step train, but give the guy SOMETHING!! Jeez, does anyone in the peloton work harder than Robbie??? I'd think this team could have done a much more respectable job at this Tour with a bit of common sense in the leadership chair (that's you Marc Sergeant and Hendrik Redant). Let's see who they field for the Vuelta...
 

·
Number10
Joined
·
490 Posts
ti-triodes said:
It's obvious US Postal/ Disco provided the blueprint for success in the Tour. One leader with one goal for the team. CSC gets it. SilenceLotto does not.

US Postal rode for and only so Armstrong could win the TDF. Armstrong did not ride for his team, his team rode for him. Thats why he was so successful because he had a team that rode just for him. Your hatred of Evans has really clouded your judgement.
 

·
Number10
Joined
·
490 Posts
interested said:
Apparently Cadel Evans even rides in separate bus from the rest of the team between stages. Such behavior could point to severe personal problems between Evans and the rest of the team. So perhaps his team mates find it difficult to give their best if they actually hates his guts. That his team also hires him a bodyguard, apparently not to protect Evans but to protect the public/journalists against him could also point to some problems with his temperament.
Of course this is pure speculation, I have actually never read anything about how his relations with the rest of the team is.

--
Regards

If it's pure speculation then why do you repeat it. It just makes you look ridiculous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
interested said:
Apparently Cadel Evans even rides in separate bus from the rest of the team between stages. Such behavior could point to severe personal problems between Evans and the rest of the team. So perhaps his team mates find it difficult to give their best if they actually hates his guts. That his team also hires him a bodyguard, apparently not to protect Evans but to protect the public/journalists against him could also point to some problems with his temperament.
Of course this is pure speculation, I have actually never read anything about how his relations with the rest of the team is.

--
Regards
Apparently you're an idiot... Apparently you're not an idiot... of course this is pure speculation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
1. in retrospect seems Chris Horner would have been very useful for the team - too bad he got away.

2. McEwen needs to switch teams. he's not getting any faster and with no riders supporting him, his sprinting career is going down the drain. with a huge leadout train like Columbia or Quick Step, he'd have some wins. otherwise, he's got to do too much work solo and hope others screw up to give him an opening. it was sad this year. I really love watching Robbie and hate seeing him be such a non-factor.

3. Cadel doesn't have what it takes to win the tour. he's got the same disease as Ulrich had and Leipheimer has....no quickness to pull away from the pack on the mountain stages. like Jan and Levi, all Cadel did was wheel suck to not lose time. Sastre could pull away. Contador could pull away. Armstrong could pull away. the big mountain stages are key in gaining time and Cadel did nothing notable in the mountins. all he did was respond to others' attacks. Cadel had the strategy of not losing. he never tried to win by attacking.. he based his whole campaign on the final time trial, and we see how well that worked out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dear Mr Crumjack...

As a founding Mets fan since '62 (yes, that's right, I was there at the beginning and always hated those stinkin' Yankees AND Willie Randolph too!), I can understand your frustration and my own as well. That's why I can also sympathize with any McEwen fans and even those 4 or 5 Evans fans out there. With a team that can boast a history like Lotto, more thought should have gone into the composition of this team (similar to Mets situation). They have some talent and the directors themselves have sufficient experience to "create" a team chemistry ( a la Columbia, Garmin Chipotle, USPS, Quick Step). Instead, we have a mish mash of riders who are obviously disgruntled and disillusioned with the direction ( a la T Mobile of a few years ago). The old T Mobile had talented riders (Cadel, Ullrich, Kloden, Vino, etc) but no clear cut plan or direction...thus, they floundered and were lucky that Ullrich and Vino were "talented" enough to get results .
They totalled screwed up this Tour, letting Cadel get torched by the whole CSC squad, and he just had nothing left in this last ITT. He's almost lucky there wasn't another TT (ITT or TTT), 'cause he'd have been even more scorched!! When Bernhard Kohl is kicking your a$$ in an ITT and you're Cadel Evans, you have serious problems!! Sastre was tremendous, but Cadel lost this Tour...I'd say 9 times out of 10 Cadel would take 2:00 minutes out of Carlos in a 50 km ITT. And I love Carlos, but let's be honest here. Cadel couldn't even squeeze out 1 sec advantage over Carlos for each km... He was simply cooked before it began. He was rocking all over that machine and his legs were slow the whole 53 km... Poor guy, but at least he got to wear the yellow this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Does anybody know if Evans & McEwen are off contract at the end of the season? McEwen has obviously done well riding for Lotto & should probably stay there, but it would be good to see Evans on a team that really were focused on a tour win. Lotto said they were going to put more into helping him this year, but it didn't really pan out that way. Evans & McEwen both really missed out by trying to cover both bases, it's obviously too much to expect a team to try win sprint stages & the GC. Particularly from a Belgian team that has sponsors that probably want to see them do well in the local races, so they have to buy riders to suit those races.

It's hard to compare Lotto to USPS. USPS didn't even just base their tour team around winning the tour GC, they really based their whole season around winning the tour GC. They had to do that though because the tour is the main race televised in their market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
jpap said:
US Postal rode for and only so Armstrong could win the TDF. Armstrong did not ride for his team, his team rode for him. Thats why he was so successful because he had a team that rode just for him. Your hatred of Evans has really clouded your judgement.

Isn't that what I said?

You are disagreeing with me by agreeing with me?

Perhaps when you and Cadel stop crying, you will be able to comprehend what you read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
magoo said:
McEwen has obviously done well riding for Lotto & should probably stay there, but it would be good to see Evans on a team that really were focused on a tour win.
I dunno. Last year Lotto focused on Robbie, plus gave Evans Horner. Evans took second, and Robbie got bupkus.

This year, Robbi got nuttin' for support and Evans had whatever else there was. Evans got second and Robbie less than bupkus.

It seems like Mr. Sargent can't direct a team, no matter what.

Robbie's stll fast, but he won't get many more victories at the TdF if Evans is on the team. And evans won't move up to the top step if... well, it's hard to imagine what's going to move him up - a 'Spanish Armada'?

I'd nominate Robbie for a move to Columbia, but they already have a finisher...

I'd nominate Cadel for a move to Garmin, but they already have a GC guy...

JSR
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top